Exponential Decay function in NMR

In summary, the number of oscillations before Mxy decays to approximately 1/3 of its initial value can be calculated by first finding the time needed for the exponential decay function (Fd(t)) to decrease to 1/3 of its initial value. This can be done by setting Fd(t)=1/3 and solving for t. Then, the number of oscillations can be calculated by dividing the total time (in ms) by the period of one oscillation (1/f). In this case, the answer is approximately 10^7 oscillations.
Bubble22

Homework Statement

How many oscillations occur before Mxy decays to approximately 1/3 of its initial value, for a Larmor frequency of 100 MHz and T2 of 100ms?

Homework Equations

I was learning about how NMR works and about transverse relaxation.
According to what I learned, we can express transverse relaxation with cosine, sine, complex number and exponential decay function (Fd(t)=exp(-t/T2)).
Thus, Mxy(t)= lMxy(t)l Fd(t)exp(-i(wt)).

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure where to put Larmor frequency in the formula. Are we trying to determine Fd(t) or Mxy?

If I assume that we are determining Fd(t) which is the exponential decay function, then I would do the following:
Set Fd(t)=100 MHz and t=100ms. Then, calculate for T2. From what I heard in the lecture, the answer should be 10^7 which I'm not getting.

Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Bubble22 said:

Homework Statement

How many oscillations occur before Mxy decays to approximately 1/3 of its initial value, for a Larmor frequency of 100 MHz and T2 of 100ms?

Homework Equations

I was learning about how NMR works and about transverse relaxation.
According to what I learned, we can express transverse relaxation with cosine, sine, complex number and exponential decay function (Fd(t)=exp(-t/T2)).
Thus, Mxy(t)= lMxy(t)l Fd(t)exp(-i(wt)).

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure where to put Larmor frequency in the formula. Are we trying to determine Fd(t) or Mxy?

If I assume that we are determining Fd(t) which is the exponential decay function, then I would do the following:
Set Fd(t)=100 MHz and t=100ms. Then, calculate for T2. From what I heard in the lecture, the answer should be 10^7 which I'm not getting.

Any help would be appreciated!

You need the time elapsed when Fd(t) decreases to one third of its initial value, that is, Fd(t)/Fd(0)=1/3. If you know the time you can calculate the number of oscillation from the period.

ehild

ehild said:
You need the time elapsed when Fd(t) decreases to one third of its initial value, that is, Fd(t)/Fd(0)=1/3. If you know the time you can calculate the number of oscillation from the period.

ehild
I'm still lost..
The time elapsed was not given in the question, but how would you approach to calculate the number of oscillation from the period if the time was given? We are eventually calculating for Mxy(t)?

Mxy(t) is a product of an exponentially decreasing function |Mxy| Fd(t) and a periodic function exp(-iwt). I quess |Mxy| is a constant, independent of t.

Fd(t)=exp(-t/T2). T2 was given, T2=100 ms. Fd(0)=1. What is t if Fd(t)=1/3?

The period T is the time of a complete oscillation. The number of periods in one second is the frequency f, so T=1/f. f was given as 100 MHz, that means 105 oscillations in one second.
You get the time T1/3 needed for the amplitude to decrease 1/3 of its initial value from exp(-T1/3/T2)=1/3. How many oscillations are performed during that time?

ehild

ehild said:
Mxy(t) is a product of an exponentially decreasing function |Mxy| Fd(t) and a periodic function exp(-iwt). I quess |Mxy| is a constant, independent of t.

Fd(t)=exp(-t/T2). T2 was given, T2=100 ms. Fd(0)=1. What is t if Fd(t)=1/3?

The period T is the time of a complete oscillation. The number of periods in one second is the frequency f, so T=1/f. f was given as 100 MHz, that means 105 oscillations in one second.
You get the time T1/3 needed for the amplitude to decrease 1/3 of its initial value from exp(-T1/3/T2)=1/3. How many oscillations are performed during that time?

ehild

Thanks for explaining it for me. Just to clear things up, I want to confirm my understanding:
105 oscillations/sec. How many oscillations per 109 sec? (I got 109 by calculating Fd(t)=1/3).

105 oscillations : 1 second = x oscillations : 109 seconds
x = 1.09 x 107 oscillations

Then this is why the prof said ~ 107 in the class. Correct?

I made a mistake, 100 MHz = 108 oscillation per one second, or 105 oscillations per one millisecond (ms).
You calculated the time needed to decrease the amplitude in milliseconds: it was 109 ms.
The method and the result is correct at the end.

ehild

Likes 1 person
thank you so much for your help!

Related to Exponential Decay function in NMR

1. What is an exponential decay function in NMR?

An exponential decay function in NMR refers to the rate at which a nucleus in a sample returns to its lower energy state after being excited by a radiofrequency pulse. This decay is typically described by a mathematical function known as an exponential decay curve.

2. How is the exponential decay constant related to the relaxation time in NMR?

The exponential decay constant, also known as the decay rate, is inversely proportional to the relaxation time in NMR. This means that a larger decay constant indicates a shorter relaxation time, and vice versa.

3. What factors can affect the rate of exponential decay in NMR?

The rate of exponential decay in NMR can be affected by factors such as temperature, magnetic field strength, and the chemical environment of the nuclei being studied. Additionally, the presence of impurities or other molecules in the sample can also impact the decay rate.

4. How is the exponential decay function used in NMR data analysis?

The exponential decay function is used in NMR data analysis to determine the relaxation time and the number of nuclei in a sample. By fitting the experimental data to an exponential decay curve, scientists can obtain valuable information about the molecular structure and dynamics of a substance.

5. Can the exponential decay function be applied to other types of spectroscopy besides NMR?

Yes, the exponential decay function is a commonly used mathematical model in various types of spectroscopy, including fluorescence, phosphorescence, and Raman spectroscopy. It describes the decay of excited states in a variety of systems and can provide insights into their properties and behavior.