Creating a self propelling wheel

• Thread starter roast beast
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Self Wheel
In summary, the conversation discusses a project involving a motor hidden inside a wheel to create the illusion of self-propulsion. The individual has concerns about the physics involved and questions about the feasibility of the project. They also discuss the use of a twelve watt motor and the limitations and challenges of the project. The conversation concludes with the suggestion to experiment with cheap motors and materials rather than analyzing it theoretically.
roast beast
well, not exactly.

I'm working on a little project for school (art school, ironically) and I think I'm a bit in over my rudimentary physics education.

Basically, my idea is to create a wide, hollow wheel with a motor hidden inside of it, so that to the casual observer the wheel appears to moving of its own volition.

My execution is to have the motor and its battery attached solely at the axis, which thus turns the wheel. My understanding is that the force exerted by the motor will travel down the radius of the wheel, gain mechanical advantage, and hit the ground. Due to Newton's 3rd law, that amplified force will bounce back up the wheel and exert force against the motor. So to counteract that, I'll need to have a ballast of some sort connected to the motor with enough mass to negate the acceleration caused by the original force, plus the mechanical advantage. This should prevent the motor from turning uselessly on itself, and the wheel should move forward.

Am I right in believing this?

Further questions:

I'm looking at a twelve watt motor for this, am I correct in assuming for my calculations that it exerts, at any given instant, twelve Newtons?

Newtons per meter per second:
watt = mass*m^2/s^3 = mass*m/s^2 = Newton

will the motor need to exert enough force to accelerate the mass of the entire rig, or simply the mass of the wheel relative to the motor?

Is friction the only limitation on top speed?

Is this project even feasible?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Roast Beast.
I'm just on my way to bed, and am somewhat inebriated, so I can't get into this in any detail. One thing that I will mention, though, is that any self-propelled wheel that I've seen has been driven from the inside of the rim rather than having an axle. A definite advantage of that is that you can keep your motor on the bottom to lower your centre of gravity.

No. Watts are a unit for power, Newtons are not, so that part is just wrong.

This kind of project *is* feasible, but I don't think it will be productive for you to try to analyse it theoretically first, partly because the cheap motors and so forth in the real world do not behave in a manner that is quite as simple to describe as for the ideal motors you might consider in a first-year university physics course. Just get some cheap hobby motors, mock up a wheel out of cardboard or similar, and experiment a bit yourself.

Related to Creating a self propelling wheel

1. How does a self-propelling wheel work?

A self-propelling wheel is a wheel that is able to move on its own without any external force or assistance. It works by utilizing the principle of conservation of energy, where the energy generated by the rotation of the wheel is used to power its movement.

2. What materials are needed to create a self-propelling wheel?

The materials needed to create a self-propelling wheel may vary depending on the design and mechanism used, but some common components include a wheel, axle, bearings, gears, and a power source. Other materials such as rubber, metal, or plastic may also be used for the wheel and other parts.

3. Can a self-propelling wheel be used for transportation?

Yes, a self-propelling wheel can be used for transportation. In fact, there are already self-propelling wheels being used in some vehicles such as bicycles and cars. With advancements in technology, it is possible that self-propelling wheels may become a common feature in future transportation systems.

4. What are the advantages of using a self-propelling wheel?

One of the main advantages of using a self-propelling wheel is its ability to move without the need for external power or assistance. This can be beneficial in situations where manual effort is not possible or efficient. Additionally, self-propelling wheels can also increase the efficiency and speed of movement compared to traditional wheels.

5. Are there any limitations to creating a self-propelling wheel?

While self-propelling wheels have many potential benefits, there are also some limitations to consider. One major limitation is the need for a constant power source, which can be challenging to maintain in certain environments or situations. Another limitation is the complexity and cost of designing and manufacturing a self-propelling wheel compared to traditional wheels.