Creating a Robotic Parrot: Could This Work?

• Thread starter Cloudz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary: .I'm not too well versed in electronics, so I was originally planning on using an Arduino Uno I had laying around. What do you mean that they gang two together?If you search a bit on raspberry pi / arduino projects you can see how its done. Basically the pi controls the arduino. It loads a communications program in the arduino and then sends to the arduino commands to execute.
Cloudz
TL;DR Summary
I had an idea for a project but unsure if it would work.
So, I want to make a robot parrot. I would like the parrot to be able to open and close their wings. I had a couple of ideas for the wings, one of which I'm not sure would work.

Could this idea work? If so, how much torque would the motor/gearbox need and how would that be found? If it doesn't work, are there any tweaks that could be made to make it work?

The idea:
The wing would be made with varying sizes of hollow 1/16 in. thick square tubes with shafts connecting each of the tubes in a sort of zig-zag pattern. The tubes, starting at the tip of the wing, are a 5.7 in. long tube with a height of 3/8 in. (length may change), a 2.85 in. long tube with a height of 1/2 in., a 2.85 in. long tube with a height of 3/4 in., and a (currently, though subject to change) 5 in. long tube with a height of 1/2 in. There are 3 joints in total. Inside the joints of the tubes are 315° right-wound torsion springs (with a max torque of 0.33 in-lbs) that keep the wing in a semi-folded position. There would be a rope attached to the end piece of the wing and run along the inside of each tube. At the end, there would be a motor and gearbox attached to a spool for the rope. The idea is that when the spool is turned, the rope is pulled tight and the wings open, and when the rope is given some slack, the wings return to their folded shape. I'm not sure if any of this info is useful but thought it wouldn't hurt to add it.

Any help is appreciated!
Screen Shot 2020-04-19 at 6.01.50 PM.png

Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose the first thing to do is studying the parrot skeleton and the types of movement in order to replicate the joints. If you know about programming, maybe Raspberry Pi would be better than Arduino, but it depends on what do you want the parrot to do.

The basic difference between Raspberry-PI and Arduino is in how many devices can be controlled. The Pi is good for a few devices but the Arduino can handle quite a lot of devices ie sensors, motors...

Some DIYers gang the two together with the PI sending commands to the arduino which controls all the devices.

https://www.electronicshub.org/raspberry-pi-vs-arduino/

jedishrfu said:
You might get some ideas from the youtube videos of parrots below:

and this article about a 3D printed parrot:

https://3dprint.com/22638/3d-printed-robotic-parrot/

and this one with a flapping mechanism:

Those all look really cool! Thank you!

jedishrfu said:
The basic difference between Raspberry-PI and Arduino is in how many devices can be controlled. The Pi is good for a few devices but the Arduino can handle quite a lot of devices ie sensors, motors...

Some DIYers gang the two together with the PI sending commands to the arduino which controls all the devices.

https://www.electronicshub.org/raspberry-pi-vs-arduino/

I'm not too well versed in electronics, so I was originally planning on using an Arduino Uno I had laying around. What do you mean that they gang two together?

Gang is another way of saying connected together.

If you search a bit on raspberry pi / arduino projects you can see how its done. Basically the pi controls the arduino. It loads a communications program in the arduino and then sends to the arduino commands to execute.

Last edited:
Likes Cloudz
jedishrfu said:
Gang is another way of saying connected together.

If you search a bit on raspberry pi / arduino projects you can see how its done. Basically the pi controls the arduino. It loads a communications program in the arduino and then sends to the arduino commands to execute.

Thank you! Seems pretty interesting

Likes jedishrfu

Related to Creating a Robotic Parrot: Could This Work?

1. Can a robotic parrot mimic the behavior and movements of a real parrot?

Yes, with advanced technology and programming, a robotic parrot can mimic the behavior and movements of a real parrot. This can include flapping its wings, moving its head and body, and even imitating sounds and speech.

2. What materials would be used to create a robotic parrot?

The materials used to create a robotic parrot would depend on the specific design and purpose of the robot. However, common materials may include metal, plastic, and various electronic components such as motors, sensors, and batteries.

3. How would a robotic parrot be powered?

A robotic parrot could be powered by various sources, such as batteries, solar panels, or even a power source through a cord. The power source would depend on the size and function of the robot.

4. Could a robotic parrot be used for practical purposes?

Yes, a robotic parrot could potentially be used for practical purposes such as assisting with tasks, providing companionship, or even aiding in research or conservation efforts for real parrots.

5. What are the potential challenges in creating a robotic parrot?

Some potential challenges in creating a robotic parrot may include designing and programming the robot to accurately mimic the behaviors and movements of a real parrot, ensuring the robot is durable and able to withstand different environments, and addressing ethical concerns about creating a robot that imitates a living animal.