Creating a Finite Element Model for Multi-Mass Spring Systems

In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of a discretised model of a helical coil spring for an automotive engine valvetrain application. The speaker is considering building up matrices from equations of motion and dealing with situations where the spring loses contact with the camshaft. The other speaker suggests using the finite element method and mentions challenges in assembling the global matrix.
Jonny6001
Hello,

I am interested in trying to created a discretised model of a helical coil spring to investigate spring surge etc, it will be for automotive engine valvetrain application.

I was thinking that I could build up the matrices from the equations of motion and initially discounting the damping term giving 'ma + kx = F' for each mass element.

My issue arises because ideally I would be specifying the displacement of the top mass which is the contact point of the camshaft according to the valve-lift profile, this would also give me the acceleration of the top mass.
I am unsure as to how the force on the elements tie up since I am specifying displacement and acceleration of the mass in contact with the camshaft.

There will also be another possible situation where the spring loses contact with the camshaft and again I'm unsure about how to deal with this.

Any help or ideas for discussion would be greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Jonny,

I think the finite element method fit your problem the best. Once you have the "global" matrix, the given displacement of the tip ( or of any number of nodes) is multiplied by the relevant entries of matrix and goes to the right hand side as the "force" term.

Assembling the global matrix is a little challenging though.

Related to Creating a Finite Element Model for Multi-Mass Spring Systems

What is a multi-mass spring model?

A multi-mass spring model is a mathematical representation of a physical system that consists of multiple masses connected by springs. It is used to study the behavior of such systems and understand how they respond to external forces.

What are the assumptions made in a multi-mass spring model?

The main assumptions made in a multi-mass spring model include neglecting the effects of air resistance, assuming the masses and springs are ideal and do not lose energy, and assuming there is no external force acting on the system.

How is a multi-mass spring model solved?

A multi-mass spring model can be solved using differential equations and Newton's laws of motion. The equations of motion are derived based on the assumptions made and then solved to determine the displacements and velocities of each mass at any given time.

What are the applications of a multi-mass spring model?

A multi-mass spring model has various applications in different fields such as engineering, physics, and biomechanics. It is used to study the behavior of structures, analyze the movement of objects, and understand the mechanics of human joints and muscles.

How accurate is a multi-mass spring model?

The accuracy of a multi-mass spring model depends on the assumptions made and the complexity of the system being modeled. In general, it provides a good approximation of the behavior of real-world systems but may not account for all factors and variables.