Creating a berm with a 1:1 slope

• Thread starter thatboygood
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Slope
In summary, to accommodate the 324,000 cubic feet of soil, the walls would need to be stacked 31.5 feet high.
thatboygood

Homework Statement

324,000 cubic feet of soil is to be placed in a rectangular area (constructed from hay bales) of 80 feet x 100 feet. Using a slope of 1:1 for the fill soil, how many bales high must the walls be stacked to accommodate the soil?
Assume the hay bales have a height of 18"

Homework Equations

A = L x W
V = A x h

Volume of a pyramid...? 1/3(L x W x h) = V

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by calculating the required height (assuming the soil was filled without a slope):

324,000 cu ft = 8000ft x h
h = 40.5 ft

I know from here I would simply divide the total height (h) by the height of a hay bale (18"), to get the number of bails. However, I am thinking that my calculated height is too much, since the soil will be slopped (1:1 slop) and extend above the walls. My question is, how do I figure out how high the soil can be slopped above the walls? and what the volume of soil extending above the walls would be. I was thinking this may have something to do with calculating the volume of a pyramid... but I'm a bit confused as to how to proceed. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
thatboygood said:

Homework Statement

32,400 cubic feet of soil is to be placed in a rectangular area (constructed from hay bales) of 80 feet x 100 feet. Using a slope of 1:1 for the fill soil, how many bales high must the walls be stacked to accommodate the soil?
Assume the hay bales have a height of 18"

Homework Equations

A = L x W
V = A x h

Volume of a pyramid...? 1/3(L x W x h) = V

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by calculating the required height (assuming the soil was filled without a slope):

324,000 cu ft = 8000ft x h
h = 40.5 ft
The problem says 32,400 cu ft.
thatboygood said:
I know from here I would simply divide the total height (h) by the height of a hay bale (18"), to get the number of bails. However, I am thinking that my calculated height is too much, since the soil will be slopped (1:1 slop) and extend above the walls. My question is, how do I figure out how high the soil can be slopped above the walls? and what the volume of soil extending above the walls would be. I was thinking this may have something to do with calculating the volume of a pyramid... but I'm a bit confused as to how to proceed. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mark44 said:
The problem says 32,400 cu ft.

That was a typo. Thanks for pointing it out. I have corrected it in my original post.

Do you have an idea of how the berm will look, with its sloped (not slopped) sides?

Mark44 said:
Do you have an idea of how the berm will look, with its sloped (not slopped) sides?

When sloped, it should resemble a pyramid.

OK.
The problem would be a bit easier if the base happened to be square, rather than rectangular.

Related to Creating a berm with a 1:1 slope

1. What is a berm with a 1:1 slope?

A berm is a raised strip or mound of land that is used for various purposes such as redirecting water flow, creating a barrier, or providing a stable base for construction. A 1:1 slope means that the berm has a 45-degree angle on both sides, with equal height and width.

2. Why would someone want to create a berm with a 1:1 slope?

A berm with a 1:1 slope is often used for erosion control, as the steep angle helps to slow down and redirect water flow. It can also be used to create a barrier or buffer between different areas, or as a decorative element in landscaping.

3. How is a berm with a 1:1 slope created?

To create a berm with a 1:1 slope, the first step is to determine the desired height and width of the berm. Next, the area where the berm will be located should be cleared of any vegetation or debris. Then, the soil can be excavated and shaped to create the desired slope. It is important to compact the soil layers as the berm is built to create a stable structure.

4. What materials are needed to create a berm with a 1:1 slope?

The main material needed to create a berm with a 1:1 slope is soil. Other materials that may be used include rocks, gravel, or concrete for added stability. Depending on the purpose of the berm, additional materials such as plants or erosion control fabrics may also be used.

5. Are there any environmental considerations when creating a berm with a 1:1 slope?

Yes, there are several environmental considerations to keep in mind when creating a berm with a 1:1 slope. It is important to consider the impact on surrounding vegetation, water flow, and wildlife habitats. Proper erosion control measures should also be taken to prevent sediment runoff into nearby water sources. Consulting with a professional and obtaining necessary permits may be required in some areas.