Create your own Questions for Revision

• Thread starter Saracen Rue
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Revision
In summary: By doing this, they are more likely to retain the information and to use it in problem solving situations in the future. a) The value of the constant, ##a##, and the coordinates of points ##S## and ##T##.The coordinates of points ##S## and ##T## are (0,0), (a,2a), (a,4a), (a,6a).
Saracen Rue
This is an idea I've been thinking of for a while. While providing a question for an individual a question to complete works fine as revision, numerous studies have proven that creating a question is, in itself, a more beneficial way to revise. Instead of simply recalling a process or equation to solve the problem, you have to craft the problem itself - doing this requires a much more in-depth understanding of the overall concepts of the topic.

This is why I'm creating this thread; to prompt people out there to create their own questions for other users to answer. Not only will the person forming the question achieve a better understanding of the topic than simply revising, they will also be exposed to the thought processes of other people. There are countless ways to solve a problem; by putting a question out on the internet to be solved by others you will not only be aiding other people in revising certain areas, but you will also achieve a greater overall understanding of the topic and will be exposed to problem solving process you had never even thought of before.

I'll pose a mathematical related question which addresses multiple year 12 course areas as an example:

Question

A function, ##f(x)=2ax^3-a^2x## intersects its inverse at the origin, point ##S(-b,f(-b))## and point ##T(b,f(b))##. A probability density function, ##p(x)=f(x)-f^{-1}(x)##, can be formed over the domain ##[0, b]##. Determine, correct to 4 decimal places:
a) The value of the constant, ##a##, and the coordinates of points ##S## and ##T##.
b) The mean, variance and standard deviation of ##p(x)##
c) The probability that the contentious random variable ##X## lies within ##|a|## standard deviations either side of the mean (i.e. ##Pr(μ-|a|σ≤X≤μ+|a|σ)##)

Answers
a) ##a=-0.2253, S\left(-1.4515,\ 1.4515\right),\ T\left(1.4515,\ -1.4515\right)##
b) ##μ=0.6692, Var(X)=0.5673,## ##σ=0.7532##
c) ##Pr(μ-|a|σ≤X≤μ+|a|σ)=0.3147##

Science news on Phys.org
Saracen Rue said:
This is an idea I've been thinking of for a while. While providing a question for an individual a question to complete works fine as revision, numerous studies have proven that creating a question is, in itself, a more beneficial way to revise. Instead of simply recalling a process or equation to solve the problem, you have to craft the problem itself - doing this requires a much more in-depth understanding of the overall concepts of the topic.

This is an excellent idea- I sometimes suggest to my students that they study by designing test-like questions. They often don't realize how difficult that is, but they do see the value very quickly.

Wow, this is a really interesting idea! I've never thought of creating my own questions for others to answer as a way to revise. I can definitely see how it would be more beneficial in terms of understanding the topic and exposing yourself to different problem-solving processes.

As for the question you posed, it's definitely a challenging one. I'm not sure if I have the skills to solve it, but I'll give it a try.

a) To find the value of ##a##, we can set the function equal to its inverse and solve for ##a##. This gives us the equation ##2ax^3-a^2x=x^3-2ax##. Simplifying, we get ##x^3-2ax=0##. This is true for all values of ##x##, so we can choose any value to solve for ##a##. Let's choose ##x=1##. Substituting, we get ##1-2a=0##, or ##a=1/2##.

To find the coordinates of points ##S## and ##T##, we can use the fact that the function and its inverse intersect at these points. Substituting ##a=1/2## into the function, we get ##f(x)=x^3-x##. Setting this equal to ##-b## and solving for ##x##, we get ##x=-b## and ##x=b##. Therefore, the coordinates of points ##S## and ##T## are ##(-b, f(-b))## and ##(b, f(b))## respectively.

b) To find the mean of ##p(x)##, we can use the formula ##\mu=\int_{0}^{b}xp(x)dx##. Substituting in the formula for ##p(x)##, we get ##\mu=\int_{0}^{b}x(f(x)-f^{-1}(x))dx##. Using the fact that ##f(x)=x^3-x## and ##f^{-1}(x)=x^3+x##, we can simplify this to ##\mu=\int_{0}^{b}x(x^3-x^3-x)dx##. Solving this integral, we get ##\mu=-b^4/4##.

To find the variance, we can use the formula ##\sigma^2=\int_{0}^{b}(

Related to Create your own Questions for Revision

What is the purpose of creating my own questions for revision?

Creating your own questions for revision allows you to actively engage with the material and assess your understanding. It also helps you identify any knowledge gaps and areas that require further review.

How do I come up with effective questions for revision?

Effective questions for revision should be specific, relevant to the material, and test your understanding of key concepts. To come up with these types of questions, review your notes and textbooks to identify important information, and then formulate questions that require critical thinking and application of knowledge.

Should I focus on one specific topic or cover a range of topics when creating questions for revision?

It is best to cover a range of topics when creating questions for revision. This will help you identify any weak areas and ensure that you have a comprehensive understanding of the material.

How many questions should I create for each topic?

The number of questions you create for each topic will depend on the complexity and depth of the material. It is recommended to create at least 5-10 questions per topic to thoroughly assess your understanding.

Is it beneficial to share my created questions with others?

Yes, sharing your created questions with others can be beneficial as they may have a different perspective and be able to provide feedback on your understanding. It can also be helpful to practice answering questions from others to further solidify your knowledge.