Create Free Energy: Is it Possible?

In summary, the concept of creating free energy is highly debated and controversial. There have been various attempts and theories proposed, but no concrete evidence or successful implementation has been achieved. Many scientists and experts argue that it is not possible to create free energy, as it would defy the laws of thermodynamics. However, some continue to pursue the idea, citing advancements in technology and renewable energy sources as potential solutions. Ultimately, the question of whether free energy can be created remains unanswered and a topic of ongoing research and discussion.
Venus0
What I'm about to ask might sound dumb because I'm in sec 3 and just really recently started learning about energy , matter and whatnot. This is really just a pitch
To create free energy couldn't you take a really big object and split an atom from a molecule and have it gravitate around that big object to create energy? Or would that create an insignificantly low amount of energy? (I believe it would be the latter)

Likes Primordial_Coridal
Physics news on Phys.org
It creates absolutely no energy at all.

According to law of conservation of energy, energy is neither created nor destroyed. In what way did you think it would create energy?

Venus0 said:
To create free energy couldn't you take a really big object and split an atom from a molecule and have it gravitate around that big object to create energy?
A small object "gravitating around" a big object? That sounds like an orbit. An orbit is a constant energy situation. Energy is not expended in an orbit.

Well yeah, you can mix some molecules with other ones, and the result is an explosion.
That doesn't make energy though, it just released energy that already was there.

Last edited:
Likes XZ923
You can't create "free energy" (if you can, you're a shoo-in for a Nobel Prize). I'm not sure how your model would work. As rootone pointed out, you can certainly cause atoms to move between molecules and convert energy already in place to create all kinds of reactions. You can split the atom itself to create a nuclear reaction. But you're not "creating" energy, you're just converting it.

Venus0 said:
To create free energy couldn't you take a really big object and split an atom from a molecule and have it gravitate around that big object to create energy?
The maximum amount of energy you could get out of the system would be exactly the amount of energy that was needed to 'split' the atom from the molecule. Splitting and moving around atoms from and amongst molecules is actually what is happening when Chemical Compounds are changed and formed. Energy is available from that source but, as always, it's a downhill path and, once the fuel has been burned, it can't be burned again.

Likes CWatters
Venus0 said:
What I'm about to ask might sound dumb because I'm in sec 3 and just really recently started learning about energy , matter and whatnot. This is really just a pitch
To create free energy couldn't you take a really big object and split an atom from a molecule and have it gravitate around that big object to create energy? Or would that create an insignificantly low amount of energy? (I believe it would be the latter)
Welcome to the PF, Venus. :smile:

It's great that you are starting to learn more about science and physics. Keep on learning, and you will be able to answer questions like this better on your own. We usually do not let discussions about Free Energy go on for very long, and prefer that you follow the links below to learn why you cannot create Free Energy or have Perpetual Motion Machines. I had the same thoughts and questions as you when I was starting to learn about science, and learned pretty quickly that "there is no free lunch". :smile:

micromass said:
Some Topics We Don't Discuss Include:

Perpetual motion and "free energy" discussions
http://wiki.4hv.org/index.php/Free_Energy_Debunking
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_motion
http://www.skepdic.com/freeenergy.html
http://www.skepdic.com/perpetual.html

Last edited:
Likes davenn

1. Can free energy really be created?

There is currently no scientific evidence to support the existence of a perpetual motion machine or a true source of free energy. The first and second laws of thermodynamics state that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only converted from one form to another. Therefore, the concept of creating free energy is not possible according to our current understanding of physics.

2. What about alternative energy sources like solar or wind power?

While these sources may appear to be "free" because they come from natural elements like the sun and wind, they still require equipment and resources to harness and convert the energy into usable forms. Additionally, they are not always reliable sources of energy and may still have environmental impacts.

3. Are there any legitimate claims of creating free energy?

There have been many claims throughout history of individuals or companies creating free energy devices, but none have been scientifically proven. In most cases, these claims are based on faulty understanding of physics or outright scams. It is important to approach any claims of free energy with skepticism and critical thinking.

4. Why do some people still believe in the possibility of free energy?

The idea of free energy has been appealing to many because it promises a limitless and sustainable source of energy without the environmental and economic costs of traditional energy sources. However, the concept is often perpetuated by pseudoscience and conspiracy theories rather than scientific evidence.

5. Is there any research being done on free energy?

While there is no legitimate research being conducted on creating free energy, there is ongoing research on alternative and renewable energy sources. Scientists are working on improving the efficiency and sustainability of existing energy sources, as well as exploring new technologies such as fusion energy. However, the goal is not to create free energy, but rather to find more efficient and sustainable ways to harness and utilize energy.