Create Distributed Database w/ MySQL, MS SQL, Oracle & PostgreSQL

In summary, the conversation revolves around the creation of a system using heterogeneous databases. The user must use at least four different databases and their choice includes MySQL, MS SQL Server, Oracle, and PostgreSQL. They are trying to connect to different databases on the database level, not the application level, and are seeking help on how to make them all connected as a distributed database. The conversation also touches on the use of platforms and APIs for database access and suggests looking into ODBC as a standardized way of connecting to and using databases.
kawan
I need to create a system using heterogeneous database.
I must use at least 4 different database.
My choice would be MySQL, MS SQL Server, Oracle and PostgreSQL
since these are among the most popular and matured database
or if you have any database that is more suitable please tell me?
I am trying to connect to different database on the database level, not on the application level.
Did you have any ways how to connect all the database become distributed database?
Please help me to solve this problem..

Technology news on Phys.org
kawan said:
I need to create a system using heterogeneous database.
I must use at least 4 different database.
My choice would be MySQL, MS SQL Server, Oracle and PostgreSQL
since these are among the most popular and matured database
or if you have any database that is more suitable please tell me?
I am trying to connect to different database on the database level, not on the application level.
Did you have any ways how to connect all the database become distributed database?
Please help me to solve this problem..

Hey kawan and welcome to the forums.

If you want to have different databases being accessed in parallel, why don't you just set up multiple servers having one database each?

All the database on different server..
I am a student, major in database management. On my 5th semester, we are required to create a system using heterogeneous database. We must use at least 4 different database. My choice would be MySQL, MS SQL Server, Oracle and PostgreSQL since these are among the most popular and matured database.
The problem is that so far, no group has ever manage to connect to 4 different database
I am trying to connect to different database on the database level, not on the application level. Using something like Oracle's database link.
how should I deal with heterogeneous database?
i want to make a system that can use various database..
For the example, i create table teacher on MYSQL and i create table student on ORACLE.. How can i do the oracle can access teacher table and mysql can access student table..
Do you have any solution?

Could you outline what kind of platforms you wish to use?

In other words, are you trying to use some kind of dynamic html platform like PHP, ASP, or something similar, or are you using a non-web based application that accesses a database through a connection like ODBC or through some other software library?

For the database access itself, what is the API used to access the database? Is it some kind of Oracle, ODBC, MySQL 3rd party interface?

The thing is that your code no matter what the platform is going to have to make specific calls to access a particular database, and the first step will be to set up a connection of some sort and this connection will specify an address for the database that will include a server of some sort.

How you actually use these databases is going to be up to you, but for the sake of helping you, others need to know these kinds of specific details.

chiro said:
In other words, are you trying to use some kind of dynamic html platform like PHP, ASP, or something similar, or are you using a non-web based application that accesses a database through a connection like ODBC or through some other software library?

For the database access itself, what is the API used to access the database? Is it some kind of Oracle, ODBC, MySQL 3rd party interface?

The thing is that your code no matter what the platform is going to have to make specific calls to access a particular database, and the first step will be to set up a connection of some sort and this connection will specify an address for the database that will include a server of some sort.

I'm using Windows.
I'm not decided to use what type of langgauge platform..
Because i want connect all the type of database on database level..
Using code in the database platform..

chiro said:
or something similar, or are you using a non-web based application that accesses a database through a connection like ODBC or through some other software library?

i think you know some way how to connect all the database..

kawan said:
I'm using Windows.
I'm not decided to use what type of langgauge platform..
Because i want connect all the type of database on database level..
Using code in the database platform..

Yes but you have to use some kind of platform. Whether it's PHP with MySQL libraries or C++ with compiled lib files or a DLL with an include file and API documentation, it's still a platform.

i think you know some way how to connect all the database..

There are many different ways to connect to a database depending on the platform and libaries that are used.

One standardized way of connecting to and using databases is the Open DataBase Connectivity (ODBC). There are many libraries for may platforms and languages that allow you to connect and use databases.

Here is something a quick google gave which is a C++ wrapper for ODBC that implements C++ specific features (like namespaces):

http://simpledb.sourceforge.net/doc/index.html

This is a lot more comprehensive:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms714562(v=vs.85).aspx

Having said the above, there are database platforms that have a lot of libraries and features that make complex tasks a lot easier, and if you have specific complex tasks that would be beneficial to utilize in a particular platform, then you should investigate these.

If you are just using an windows EXE, service, DLL or similar, then check out the ODBC API. This will work for any kind of database as long as the database vendor (Oracle, IBM, Microsoft, etc) provide a driver for ODBC that allows a user to connect to that database via the ODBC service. Think of it like a hardware driver, but the hardware in this case is the actual database.

kawan said:
What do you mean by connecting databases on a database level versus application? Software is needed to access the data in a database, so are you separating this software into what is supplied by a database software vendor versus the code written by a user of that database software, and only considering the user written software as being part of an application?

Last edited:

Related to Create Distributed Database w/ MySQL, MS SQL, Oracle & PostgreSQL

1. What is a distributed database?

A distributed database is a database that is spread across multiple computers or locations. It allows for data to be stored and accessed from different locations, providing better scalability, availability, and performance.

2. Why would I need to create a distributed database?

A distributed database is useful when a large amount of data needs to be stored and accessed by multiple users or applications. It also provides better disaster recovery and fault tolerance by spreading the data across different locations.

3. What are the benefits of using MySQL, MS SQL, Oracle, and PostgreSQL in a distributed database?

Each of these databases has its own strengths and features that make them suitable for use in a distributed database. MySQL is known for its speed and scalability, MS SQL for its reliability and transactional support, Oracle for its robust features and security, and PostgreSQL for its flexibility and support for advanced data types.

4. How do I create a distributed database with these 4 databases?

The process for creating a distributed database may vary depending on the specific requirements and environment. In general, it involves setting up a network of interconnected databases, configuring data replication and synchronization, and implementing a distributed database management system to handle data access and queries across the databases.

5. What are some challenges of working with a distributed database?

One of the main challenges of working with a distributed database is ensuring data consistency and integrity across different databases. This can be achieved through proper data synchronization and conflict resolution strategies. Additionally, managing security and access control across multiple databases can also be a challenge.