Create a method to measure a varying voltage from a power line

In summary, the conversation discusses using a wire loop with adjustable diameter to create a change in flux and generate a current through the wire. However, the main focus is on investigating the electric field and the current flowing along the wire, rather than the potential of the line with respect to ground.
estudent1371
Homework Statement
Describe a method to measure the current in an electric power line given (i) some wire that you can bend into any size and shape you want, and (ii) some method for measuring the frequency and amplitude of a voltage that varies periodically with time.Make sure to provide enough information for somebody else to reproduce your method.

Key information includes the following:

(a) The basic concept of your measurement: what you will do, what you will measure, and why that measurement will tell you the current in the power line.

(b) Key dimensions of your apparatus. For example, if you make something out of the wire, say how big it is and any other details that somebody would need to make something that functions in the same way.

(c) Where you will put your apparatus and how it will be oriented, in relation to the power line.

(d) Specifically what you will measure.

(e) Any calculations and formulas that you will use to determine the power-line current based on your measurements.

Design your apparatus to get a measured voltage amplitude of at least 10 mV if the current in the power line has an amplitude of 1000 A at 60 Hz and the power line is 10 m above ground. Include a calculation to show how much signal you expect to get.Make appropriate approximations to simplify your calculations, and explain why they are valid.

For maximum points, make the apparatus something that one person can carry a few yards and set up on the ground near the power line.(If you need a crane or a tall ladder, there must be an easier way...)You may assume that you know how far the power line is above the ground, but you get bonus points if you find a way to get all the information you need from measurements you make with your apparatus at different positions in space.

also the loop can not revolve/spin to change the flux.
Relevant Equations
Lenz's law, amperes law,biot-savart law, maxwells equations?
I feel like i am spinning my wheels at the start here. so I figured that i would start with some type of wire loop that I could change its diameter. This would allow there to be a change in flux through the loop creating a current through the wire. i could then read the current through the wire...however I don't know where to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is a cleaner version of the question.

Attachments

• physics prob #10.docx
    151.2 KB · Views: 94
If they wanted to know about the potential of the line with respect to ground, I suppose you'd need to investigate the electric field. But they don't: they want the current flowing along the wire, so you need to look at the field that causes.

Related to Create a method to measure a varying voltage from a power line

1. How do you measure voltage from a power line?

To measure voltage from a power line, you will need a voltmeter or multimeter. Connect the probes of the meter to the power line and the ground, then read the voltage displayed on the meter.

2. What is the purpose of measuring voltage from a power line?

Measuring voltage from a power line is important for ensuring that the power supply is within a safe and stable range. It is also necessary for troubleshooting and diagnosing any issues with the power supply.

3. Can you measure voltage from a power line without a meter?

No, it is not possible to measure voltage from a power line without a voltmeter or multimeter. These tools are specifically designed for measuring electrical voltage and are necessary for accurate readings.

4. How do you account for varying voltage in your measurement?

To account for varying voltage, you can use a voltmeter with a range that covers the expected voltage fluctuations. You can also take multiple readings over a period of time and calculate the average voltage to get a more accurate measurement.

5. Is it safe to measure voltage from a power line?

Measuring voltage from a power line can be dangerous if proper precautions are not taken. Always use insulated tools and wear protective gear, and make sure to follow all safety protocols and guidelines when working with electricity.