Create a Dynamic Wind Sculpture: Tips and Tricks for Instability and Movement

• Thread starter spindog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wind
In summary: The sculpture is not yet complete, but I am getting closer. I am having some difficulty with the design. I'm wondering if you have any suggestions.
spindog
I am trying to create a wind sculpture and I could use some help. The sculpture will have 3 points of rotation all driven by the wind. Visualize the letter "Y" and you will have the basic idea. The base has bearings allowing rotation as do both of the arms. My prototype model works to some degree but stabilizes or "weather-vanes". It moves only when the wind direction changes. This is not what I wanted. What I wanted was for it to tumble randomly about. I am remembering my youth rocket building days. There I had to insure that the center of pressure was behind or lower on the rocket than the center of gravity or it would not fly straight. I'm wondering if making the center of gravity and the center of pressure the same spot on my wind sculpture will create the desired instability I'm after. I have no real aerodynamic or physics training/knowledge to speak of. So I'm going to need a laymen description if possible. Thank you for any direction or help you might be able to provide.

Engineering news on Phys.org
This probably doesn't help you much unless you live in Pittsburgh, but near the back entrance to the Carnegie Museum of Natural History and the Carnegie Library, there is complete full scale wind model that does just what you are after.

Thanks
Matt

Thanks DFDFEAGURU for the quick reply. I'm always interested in hearing about this sort of thing. Do you know the name of the artist? Or is there a link that might have a photo?

If you want a sculpture that moves a lot, they you will have to avoid weather-vaning. Don't put wind-catching elements too far from a point of rotation unless they are balanced by other elements of roughly equal drag. Something sleek and streamlined is only going to move around when wind velocity and direction change dramatically. You want to make something that is very balanced, so that slight changes in wind direction and velocity will shake it up. Probably the best that you can hope for is to design one of the top ends of the "Y" so that it is very unstable and drives into oscillation easily. Then it should be easier to figure out what your other wind-catchers will do when they are forced into new directions due to the oscillations of the most balanced and unstable element.

If you search YouTube for "wind sculpture" there are many videos of various designs you can watch for ideas.

I haven't been able to find a picture, but I live close enought to go and take a few for you.

Let me know if you need me to.

Thanks
Matt

Spindog,

How is this project working out for you?

Is it complete yet?

Thanks
Matt

Related to Create a Dynamic Wind Sculpture: Tips and Tricks for Instability and Movement

1. What materials are commonly used to make wind sculptures?

Wind sculptures can be made from a variety of materials, but some of the most commonly used include metal, glass, and wood. These materials are durable and can withstand outdoor weather conditions.

2. How do wind sculptures work?

Wind sculptures work by harnessing the power of the wind to create movement. The sculpture is designed with specific curves and angles that catch the wind and cause the sculpture to rotate or sway.

3. Can I make my own wind sculpture?

Yes, you can make your own wind sculpture with the right materials and tools. There are many DIY tutorials available online that can guide you through the process step by step.

4. Where is the best place to display a wind sculpture?

Wind sculptures are best displayed in open, outdoor spaces where there is a consistent breeze. This could include a garden, patio, or backyard. It is important to consider the direction and strength of the wind when choosing a location for your sculpture.

5. How can I maintain my wind sculpture?

To keep your wind sculpture in good condition, it is important to regularly clean it and check for any damage. If your sculpture is made from metal, you may also want to periodically apply a protective coating to prevent rusting. Additionally, make sure to secure your sculpture properly to prevent it from falling or getting damaged in strong winds.