Crazy multiple choice question

In summary, the question asks for the probability of answering a multiple choice question correctly and offers three choices: 100%, 50%, or 33%. There is no definitive answer as it depends on what the questioner considers to be correct and the likelihood of each answer being accepted. Some suggest that randomly choosing an answer gives a 33% chance of being right, but this is based on the assumption that each answer is equally likely to be accepted.
lavoisier
Hi everyone,
a friend once emailed me a crazy multiple choice question. I thought about it for a while but then gave up.
I can't find it anymore, but I remember it was something like:

What is the probability of answering this question correctly?
1) 100%
2) 50%
3) 33%

Does anybody know what the actual question may have been (as I guess it's pretty well known in mathematical circles) and especially, what the answer is?
Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
That is, simply, non-sense! Obviously, your chance of answering any question correctly depends upon what the questioner will accept as the correct answer! I suspect that what is intended is to assume that anyone of the three answers is equally likely to be accepted as the correct answer, therefore, by choosing "at random", you have a 33% (actually 33.333... % of 1/3) chance of being right. But, then that answer has only 1/3 probability of being right!

Related to Crazy multiple choice question

What is a "crazy multiple choice question"?

A "crazy multiple choice question" is a type of question that presents several answer options, but one or more of the options may seem illogical or absurd. It aims to test a person's ability to think critically and creatively.

Why do scientists use "crazy multiple choice questions"?

Scientists use "crazy multiple choice questions" as a way to challenge and assess a person's thinking skills and problem-solving abilities. It also allows for a more engaging and fun way of testing knowledge.

How do I approach a "crazy multiple choice question"?

When faced with a "crazy multiple choice question", it is important to read all the options carefully and analyze the question to determine the most logical answer. It may also be helpful to eliminate any obviously incorrect options.

Are "crazy multiple choice questions" used in real scientific research?

While "crazy multiple choice questions" may be used in some scientific studies, they are more commonly used in educational settings as a tool for learning and assessment. In real scientific research, multiple choice questions are typically more straightforward and focused on specific knowledge or concepts.

Can I still get the correct answer on a "crazy multiple choice question" even if the options seem absurd?

Yes, it is possible to get the correct answer on a "crazy multiple choice question" even if the options seem absurd. The key is to use critical thinking skills and eliminate any obviously incorrect options. Remember, there is often more than one way to approach a problem, even if it seems unconventional.