Easy Question On Multiple Choice.... Confused

In summary, the quiz had 6 options and the person got 0.83/1 on one question and 0.67/1 on another question. The equation used to calculate the mark on the multiple choice questions may vary depending on the quiz.
ISITIEIW
Hey, i was doing a multiple choice question and i got 0.83/1 on it... There were 6 options to choose from and you could choose as many as you liked. I only picked one of the options. I'm confused as to how or what equation is used to calculate what mark you will get on each multiple choice question.

On the same quiz, i got 0.67/1 on a different question when there were 6 options to choose from and i picked all of them.

What equation is being used to calculate my mark??

Thanks
ISITIEIW

Physics news on Phys.org
It's impossible to really know, but there are popular methods for grading multiple choice questions. Usually they are some variant of: give 1 point for every correct choice, remove 1 point (or half a point) for every incorrect choice, where choosing too many options for a given question counts as an incorrect choice, give no points (or remove a quarter point) for not answering a question at all. But it may also be something completely different.

Furthermore, after the grade is calculated your grade may be arbitrarily raised or lowered by the teacher after being compared with the class' grade distribution, this is called grading on a curve and is done to help student's grades reflect their position relative to their classmates (more info here: Grading on a curve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Note this isn't always the case, depending on your country, year, course and teacher. It may even depend on the exact assignment or time of year. But generally if no marking schedule (note that tells you how you will be marked) is released then it's a good bet grading on a curve is going to be used.

So basically, if you really want to know exactly you should ask your teacher for how the grades were calculated, because only he/she knows for sure, and I'm sure he/she would be happy to explain if time permits.​

Last edited:

Related to Easy Question On Multiple Choice.... Confused

1. What is a multiple choice question?

A multiple choice question is a type of question where a set of options or choices are provided, and the test taker must choose the correct answer among them.

2. What is an easy multiple choice question?

An easy multiple choice question is a question that has a clear and straightforward answer, making it easier for the test taker to choose the correct option.

3. How do I choose the correct answer in a multiple choice question?

To choose the correct answer in a multiple choice question, you should carefully read and understand the question, eliminate any obviously incorrect options, and consider the remaining options to determine the most appropriate answer.

4. Can there be more than one correct answer in a multiple choice question?

No, typically a multiple choice question has only one correct answer. However, some exams may have questions with multiple correct options, in which case it will be specified in the question.

5. What should I do if I am confused between two options in a multiple choice question?

If you are confused between two options in a multiple choice question, you can try to eliminate one by using your knowledge or intuition. If you are still unsure, you can make an educated guess or skip the question and come back to it later.