Crazy Elliptical shadow problem

• Thread starter metalmagik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shadow
In summary, the problem involves finding the distance above the x-axis at which a lamp must be placed in order to cast a shadow that contains the point (-5,0), given that the lamp is located three units to the right of the y-axis and the shadow is created by an elliptical region. The solution involves using implicit differentiation to find the slope of a tangent line to the ellipse at the point where it intersects with the light ray from the lamp. This can then be used to solve for the coordinates of the point and ultimately determine the distance above the x-axis at which the lamp must be placed. There is another method involving translating the shadow area, but it is not clear if this is the correct solution.
metalmagik

Homework Statement

The figure shows a lamp located three units to the right of the y-axis and a show created by the elliptical region x2+4y2[tex]\leq[/tex]5. If the point (-5,0) is on the edge of the shadow, how far above the x-axis is the lamp located?

Homework Equations

Implicit Differentiation has to fit in here, since the chapter is on Implicit Differentiation, just not sure how.

The Attempt at a Solution

I figure the tangent line has to be at (-1,1) to be able to hit the lamp three units to the right...but I really just am not sure how to really start this problem...very confusing, can someone give me a starting point? Thank you very much for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
metalmagik said:

Homework Statement

The figure shows a lamp located three units to the right of the y-axis and a shadow created by the elliptical region x2+4y2[tex]\leq[/tex]5. If the point (-5,0) is on the edge of the shadow, how far above the x-axis is the lamp located?

Homework Equations

Implicit Differentiation has to fit in here, since the chapter is on Implicit Differentiation, just not sure how.

The Attempt at a Solution

I figure the tangent line has to be at (-1,1) to be able to hit the lamp three units to the right...but I really just am not sure how to really start this problem...very confusing, can someone give me a starting point? Thank you very much for any help.

The "light ray" from from (3, yL) to (-5, 0) that forms the edge of the shadow must be tangent to the ellipse (do you see why? If not draw a picture!). Let (x, y) be the point on the ellipse at which that line is tangent to the ellipse. Since it is a point on the ellipse, x2+4y2[tex]\leq[/tex]5 and you can use implicit differentiation to find the slope of the tangent line at that point as a function of y. That, together with the fact that (x,y) must be on the tangent line let's you solve for both x and yL. It is the latter you want.

I differentiated x2+4y2[tex]\leq[/tex]5 and got like dy/dx [tex]\leq[/tex] -2x/8y and then I did not know how to continue. I looked up the problem online and found another way to do it that I am not sure if its right, the person who did this solution said that the shadow area had to be translated so he did like (x+3),(y+a) or something and plugged that into the original equation, solved through and got 1/2 as the answer. Is this correct?? Help please I am having a lot of trouble understanding this problem. Thank you.

Related to Crazy Elliptical shadow problem

1. What is the Crazy Elliptical shadow problem?

The Crazy Elliptical shadow problem is a scientific phenomenon where a shadow cast by an object appears to change shape and size in an unpredictable manner due to the elliptical shape of the Earth's orbit around the sun.

2. Why does the Crazy Elliptical shadow problem occur?

The Crazy Elliptical shadow problem occurs because of the elliptical shape of the Earth's orbit around the sun. As the Earth moves closer or farther away from the sun during its orbit, the angle of the sunlight hitting the object casting the shadow changes, causing the shadow to appear distorted.

3. How does the Crazy Elliptical shadow problem affect scientific research?

The Crazy Elliptical shadow problem can affect scientific research by causing discrepancies in measurements and observations. Researchers must take into account the changing angle of the sunlight when studying objects or phenomena affected by shadows.

4. Can the Crazy Elliptical shadow problem be predicted or controlled?

The Crazy Elliptical shadow problem is a natural occurrence and cannot be predicted or controlled. However, scientists can use mathematical models and calculations to estimate the extent of the distortion caused by the elliptical orbit.

5. Are there any real-life applications for understanding the Crazy Elliptical shadow problem?

Understanding the Crazy Elliptical shadow problem is important in various fields, such as astronomy, navigation, and solar energy. By accounting for the changing angle of the sunlight, these industries can make more accurate calculations and predictions.