Covariance equations of motion and symmetry

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of covariance of equations of motion under an infinitesimal symmetry transformation. The equations of motion are given by E_i = \left(\frac{\partial L}{\partial \chi^i}\right) - \partial_{\mu} \left(\frac{\partial L}{\partial \chi^i_{\mu}}\right). The symmetry transformation is denoted by \delta \chi^i = \xi^{\alpha} (\chi) and the Lagrangian function is denoted by L = L(F^a, \chi^{\alpha}, \chi^{\alpha}_{\mu}). The attempt at a solution involves manipulating the equations to obtain \delta E_i = -
phoenixofflames

Homework Statement

Hi, I need to proof the covariance of the equations of motion under an infinitesimal symmetry transformation.

Homework Equations

Equations of motion:
[tex]
E_i = \left(\frac{\partial L}{\partial \chi^i}\right) - \partial_{\mu} \left(\frac{\partial L}{\partial \chi^i_{\mu}}\right)
[/tex]
Symmetry transformation
[tex]
\delta \chi^i = \xi^{\alpha} (\chi)
[/tex]
Lagrangian
[tex]
L = L(F^a, \chi^{\alpha}, \chi^{\alpha}_{\mu})
[/tex]

[tex]
\chi^{\alpha}_{\mu} = \partial_{\mu} \chi^{\alpha}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]E_i &= \left(\frac{\partial L}{\partial \chi^i}\right) - \partial_{\mu} \left(\frac{\partial L}{\partial \chi^i_{\mu}}\right) [/tex]
[tex]= \left(\frac{\partial L}{\partial \chi^{'\alpha}}\right) \left(\frac{\partial \chi^{'\alpha}}{\partial \chi^i}\right) - \partial_{\mu} \left[\left(\frac{\partial L}{\partial \chi^{' \alpha}_{\beta}}\right) \left(\frac{\partial \chi^{' \alpha}_{\beta}}{\partial \chi^i_{\mu}} \right) \right] [/tex]
[tex]= \left(\frac{\partial L}{\partial \chi^{'i}}\right) + \left(\frac{\partial L}{\partial \chi^{'\alpha}}\right)\left(\frac{\partial \xi^{\alpha}}{\partial \chi^i}\right) - \partial_{\mu} \left[\left(\frac{\partial L}{\partial \chi^{'i}_{\mu}}\right) + \left(\frac{\partial L}{\partial \chi^{' \alpha}_{\mu}}\right) \left(\frac{\partial \xi^{\alpha}}{\partial \chi^i} \right)\right] [/tex]
[tex]= E^{'}_i + \left(\frac{\partial \xi^{\alpha}}{\partial \chi^i} \right) E_{\alpha}[/tex]
at first order in xi.
The answer is
[tex] \delta E_i = - \left(\frac{\partial \xi^{\alpha}}{\partial \chi^i} \right) E_{\alpha}[/tex]
I have no clue actually how to do this...
because L is a function of Chi, but I take the partial derivative towards chi' ,... Actually I have no clue how to do it mathematically correct..
Is it completely wrong or... Is there another way,..
Note that [tex]\delta L[/tex] is not zero and doesn't need to be a complete derivative.

What does this covariance exactly mean?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Found it by using the action.

Thanks

Related to Covariance equations of motion and symmetry

What is the covariance equation of motion?

The covariance equation of motion is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the position, velocity, and acceleration of a particle or object in motion. It takes into account the effects of time, mass, and external forces on the motion of the object.

How is symmetry related to covariance equations of motion?

Symmetry plays a crucial role in covariance equations of motion because it allows us to simplify the equations and make predictions about the behavior of a system. Symmetry means that the equations remain unchanged under certain transformations, which can help us identify conserved quantities and make predictions about the motion of a system.

What is the significance of covariance equations of motion in physics?

Covariance equations of motion are essential in physics because they allow us to describe and predict the behavior of physical systems. They are used in a variety of fields, such as classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and relativity, to understand the motion of particles and objects in different contexts.

How do covariance equations of motion differ from Newton's laws of motion?

Covariance equations of motion are a more general and advanced version of Newton's laws of motion. While Newton's laws only apply to objects in classical mechanics, covariance equations of motion can be used in a wider range of contexts, including quantum mechanics and relativity. They also take into account the effects of time, mass, and external forces, whereas Newton's laws only consider the net force acting on an object.

Can covariance equations of motion be applied to systems with multiple particles or objects?

Yes, covariance equations of motion can be applied to systems with multiple particles or objects. In these cases, the equations become more complex and involve additional variables, but the underlying principles and concepts remain the same. This allows us to analyze and predict the motion of complex systems, such as planets in a solar system or atoms in a molecule.