Coupled partial differential equations

In summary: I'd probably try to convert it to a single fourth order equation, and solve that; but that would be because I know how to do that, not because it's a good approach. I can see that converting to a first-order system (by adding extra dependent variables for the derivatives) is also possible.-My final question is, any recommendation for a good book that discuss these coupled differential equations especially ones like the above.I don't have any specific recommendations, but I would suggest looking for books on numerical methods or differential equations that cover systems of equations. These types of equations are commonly encountered in physics and engineering problems, so any book on those subjects should also have some coverage on solving them.
abaset
Hello every one,
In my physics problem, i end up having two coupled second-order nonlinear differential equations where the coupling terms include, the variable, the first derivatives, and also a second derivative coupling. I appreciate any help on how to handle this system before setting it for numerical simulation: that system generally looks like the equations attached.

-For my first trial, i have eliminated the term with d^2(y) from the first equation using the second equation. similarly i eliminated the term with d^2(x) from the second equation using the first. Hence i obtained a new coupled system that looks more complicated but numerically solvable. i would like to know if this process is mathematically valid or not. i.e. does the new coupled equations typically represent or give the same results as the old one.

-For my second suggestion is just to neglect those higher coupling terms from both equations then solve them, however, I'm not sure how valid that is, anything in math or physics can validate neglecting those terms.

-What is the best (standard) way to solve such system?

-My final question is, any recommendation for a good book that discuss these coupled differential equations especially ones like the above.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• NewPicture029.jpg
    NewPicture029.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 535
Physics news on Phys.org
abaset said:
Hello every one,
In my physics problem, i end up having two coupled second-order nonlinear differential equations where the coupling terms include, the variable, the first derivatives, and also a second derivative coupling. I appreciate any help on how to handle this system before setting it for numerical simulation: that system generally looks like the equations attached.

-For my first trial, i have eliminated the term with d^2(y) from the first equation using the second equation. similarly i eliminated the term with d^2(x) from the second equation using the first. Hence i obtained a new coupled system that looks more complicated but numerically solvable. i would like to know if this process is mathematically valid or not. i.e. does the new coupled equations typically represent or give the same results as the old one.
Sounds fine to me. In fact, you could do the same within the numerical solution. At each step, plug in the current values for all except the two second derivatives; this gives you a pair of simultaneous equations with those two derivatives as the only unknowns; solve and iterate. It comes to the same, but avoids the heavy algebra you went through.
-For my second suggestion is just to neglect those higher coupling terms from both equations then solve them, however, I'm not sure how valid that is, anything in math or physics can validate neglecting those terms.
The possible bases for neglecting them would be (a) that their coefficients in the equations are very small or (b) the values they take are very small. The first appears false, and the second would imply the first derivatives are more-or-less constant. You could certainly search for such a special case solution, but I doubt it would be right to ignore them generally.
Besides, does it help? Even a numerical solution from the resulting equation looks messy.
-What is the best (standard) way to solve such system?
Pass. I don't have much practical experience in this area.

Related to Coupled partial differential equations

1. What are coupled partial differential equations?

Coupled partial differential equations (PDEs) are a type of mathematical model that describes the relationship between multiple dependent variables and their respective partial derivatives. These equations are typically used to model complex systems where the behavior of one variable is influenced by the behavior of another variable.

2. How are coupled PDEs different from ordinary differential equations?

Coupled PDEs involve multiple dependent variables, while ordinary differential equations only involve one dependent variable. In coupled PDEs, the partial derivatives of each variable are taken into account, while ordinary differential equations only consider the derivative with respect to one independent variable.

3. What are some common applications of coupled PDEs?

Coupled PDEs have a wide range of applications in various fields of science and engineering. Some common examples include modeling fluid flow, heat transfer, and electromagnetism. They are also used in climate modeling, financial modeling, and image processing.

4. How are coupled PDEs solved?

There is no general method for solving coupled PDEs, as the specific solution method depends on the type of equations involved and the boundary conditions. Some common techniques for solving coupled PDEs include separation of variables, numerical methods, and integral transforms.

5. What are some challenges in working with coupled PDEs?

One of the main challenges in working with coupled PDEs is finding an analytical solution, as it is often not possible for complex systems. This means that numerical methods must be used, which can be computationally intensive. Additionally, determining appropriate boundary conditions and initial conditions can also be a challenge in solving coupled PDEs.