Couple magnetic experimental questions

In summary, the conversation involves the speaker looking for critiques and help on creating two projects involving spherical metal balls and a magnetic field. The first project is to create a particle accelerator using electromagnets to keep the ball suspended and accelerating around a track. The second project is to have a magnet or metal sphere rotate using only magnetic fields. The speaker also mentions the possibility of using a linear induction motor for the first project and is interested in making a circular track instead of a straight one.
khemist
So I am considering attempting to build a couple of projects to fill in some time, and I am looking for critiques and help on creating these.. Both deal with spherical metal balls (most likely iron, or maybe even a magnet) and a magnetic field.

1. I would like to make something like a particle accelerator, but instead of accelerating particles I would be accelerating a metal or magnetic sphere around a track. My idea is to place electromagnets, more like solenoid coils around the track to keep the ball accelerating around the track. The problem is how would I keep the sphere suspended in the field without it falling or hitting the side of the track in between the magnets? I thought maybe I would just have to have the entire track be surrounded by these, and simply have a circuit board or a program that would alternate the current on the magnets. I obviously do not need to have it in a vacuum (or would I...), but again my problem is keeping the sphere suspended in the middle of the track without hitting the sides.

2. This is more speculative, and if it is possible it would be interesting to make... Similar to the first project, I would suspend a magnet/ metal sphere in a magnetic field. Now, is it possible to have the object rotate using only magnetic fields? I would think I could make it rotate about its poles, but in thought I don't know if it would make the sphere spin uniformly or if it would wobble more than spin. Essentially it would be the same thing as the first, where I would have alternating current on an electromagnet?

Any help is appreciated. If anyone has any resources in respect to these questions, please feel free to post away! Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What you want is the something like a linear induction motor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_motor"

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen a little bit on that, and looked at youtube videos on having thsoe built. However, I would like to see if I could make it a circular track instead of a straight tube.

It appears that I could have a track that WAS a magnet (or lined with magnets), and then provide currents to separate electromagnets to propel the sphere?

Related to Couple magnetic experimental questions

1. What is a couple magnetic experimental question?

A couple magnetic experimental question refers to a scientific inquiry that involves the study of the interactions between two magnetic fields, also known as a magnetic couple. These questions often involve the manipulation and measurement of magnetic forces and fields to understand their behavior and properties.

2. How are couple magnetic experimental questions relevant to real-world applications?

Couple magnetic experimental questions have a wide range of applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and medicine. For example, they can be used to develop more efficient motors and generators, improve the understanding of Earth's magnetic field, and study the effects of magnetic fields on biological systems.

3. What equipment is needed to conduct a couple magnetic experimental question?

The specific equipment needed may vary depending on the nature of the question, but some common tools include magnets, magnetic sensors, power supplies, and data acquisition systems. In addition, specialized equipment such as a Hall effect sensor or a magnetometer may be required for more advanced experiments.

4. What are some examples of couple magnetic experimental questions?

Some examples of couple magnetic experimental questions include: What is the relationship between the strength of two interacting magnetic fields? How does the distance between two magnets affect their attractive or repulsive forces? Can the polarity of magnets be reversed by using another magnetic field? How does the shape of a magnet affect its magnetic field?

5. Can couple magnetic experimental questions be used for educational purposes?

Yes, couple magnetic experimental questions can be a valuable tool for teaching and learning about magnetism and electromagnetism. They can help students understand the principles and properties of magnetic fields through hands-on experimentation and data analysis. They can also be used to demonstrate concepts such as magnetic induction, magnetic shielding, and magnetic levitation.