Countable Non-Differentiable Points on Convex Curve Boundaries

• Thread starter alanlu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convex
In summary, the author is considering an approach to proving that a curve C has a tangent line except at a countable number of points. They are trying to imagine a proof by contradiction and pigeon-hole.
alanlu
I am having trouble proving the following:

Suppose that [itex]E[/itex] is a convex region in the plane bounded by a curve [itex]C[/itex]. Show that [itex]C[/itex] has a tangent line except at a countable number of points.

[itex]E[/itex] is convex iff for every [itex]x, y \in E,[/itex] and for every [itex]\lambda \in [0,1], (1-\lambda) x + \lambda y \in E[/itex].

I am considering an approach where I parametrize [itex]C[/itex] in a fixed orientation and then look at the places where it is not differentiable, showing somehow that corners with some angular measure [itex]a \in [0,\pi)[/itex] are the only flavor of non-differentiable parts on this curve, and then showing that the number of corners is bounded by [itex]\frac{2\pi}{\pi - a}[/itex] for the largest [itex]a[/itex].

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are on the right general track. But there can be a countably infinite number of nondifferentiable points, yes? Can you show that an uncountable sum of positive numbers must be infinite?

Ah, right, we could have a polygon(?) with angles ##\pi, \frac{3\pi}{2}, \frac{7\pi}{4}...##

How do you take an uncountable sum? That sounds quite exotic! I am trying to imagine a proof by contradiction and pigeon-hole.

alanlu said:
Ah, right, we could have a polygon(?) with angles ##\pi, \frac{3\pi}{2}, \frac{7\pi}{4}...##

How do you take an uncountable sum? That sounds quite exotic! I am trying to imagine a proof by contradiction and pigeon-hole.

It's not that exotic. Suppose you are summing c_i over an uncountable index i belonging to a set I. Define I_n to be the set of all i such that c_i>1/n for n a positive integer. Then if the sum is finite, I_n must be finite for all n, right? What's the union of all of the I_n? Forgive me for not TeXing this.

It would be all the positive values in I, so I has at most a countable subset of nonzero values when the value of the sum is finite, as the union of countably many finite sets is at most countable. Thanks for the help!

Related to Countable Non-Differentiable Points on Convex Curve Boundaries

1. What is a tangent of a convex region?

A tangent of a convex region is a line that just touches the boundary of the region at one point, without intersecting it. It is also known as a line of tangency.

2. How is a tangent of a convex region different from a secant?

A secant is a line that intersects the convex region at two points, while a tangent only touches the boundary at one point.

3. Can a convex region have more than one tangent?

Yes, a convex region can have multiple tangents. In fact, any point on the boundary of the convex region can have a tangent passing through it.

4. What is the relationship between tangents and the curvature of a convex region?

The tangent at any point on a convex region is perpendicular to the radius at that point, which is the line segment connecting the center of the region to that point. This means that the more curved a convex region is at a certain point, the more perpendicular its tangent will be to the radius at that point.

5. How are tangents of a convex region used in real-world applications?

Tangents of a convex region are commonly used in geometry and calculus to solve problems related to optimization and finding maximum or minimum values. They also have applications in engineering, physics, and computer graphics.