Coulombs's law problem, asked to find an unknown charge.

In summary, two small, positively charged spheres with a combined charge of 23.0 × 10-5 C are 2.00 m apart and repelled by an electrostatic force of 0.800 N. To find the charge on the smaller sphere, you can use Coulomb's law and set up two equations involving q1 and q2. Solving for q1 and q2, you get q1 = 0 and q2 = 23E-5, which is not the correct solution. After further discussion, it is determined that the correct approach is to set up a quadratic equation and solve for q1, which gives a value of 20.0 x 10-5 C for the charge
J-dizzal

Homework Statement

Two small, positively charged spheres have a combined charge of 23.0 × 10-5 C. If each sphere is repelled from the other by an electrostatic force of 0.800 N when the spheres are 2.00 m apart, what is the charge on the sphere with the smaller charge?

Homework Equations

Coulomb's law F=k q1q2/r2

The Attempt at a Solution

im very stuck on this one.[/B]
20150907_180049_zpsgysge7lu.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
You do not need to keep indicating they are absolute values since it is clarified in the problem that they are positively charged.

Since you have two equations about q1 and q2, you can now solve them easily!

You have a good start. Now try to use the fact that the two charges have a combined charge of 23.0 x 10-5C.
[EDIT: Sorry, C. Lee. You posted while I was still typing my post.]

C. Lee said:
You do not need to keep indicating they are absolute values since it is clarified in the problem that they are positively charged.

Since you have two equations about q1 and q2, you can now solve them easily!

I tried to solve for q1 and q2, and i got q1=0 and q2=23E-5. my answers are true but not the correct solution to this problem.

J-dizzal said:
I tried to solve for q1 and q2, and i got q1=0 and q2=23E-5. my answers are true but not the correct solution to this problem.
How did you come up with these figures? If q1 = 0, then the force = 0, since the product of the charges = 0.

You'll have to post your work

J-dizzal said:

I don't get how you ended up there. If q1 = 0, q1*q2 cannot have nonzero value.

C. Lee said:

I'll try again to solve, this are my 2 equations: q1+q2=2.3E-4 and q1q2=3.5605E-10.

Last edited:
C. Lee said:
im having trouble solving this. this is my first step from the starting equations; q1+(3.5605E-10/q1)=2.3E-4. and then i factor out q1 from the left side of the equation and solve from there.

J-dizzal said:
im having trouble solving this. this is my first step from the starting equations; q1+(3.5605E-10/q1)=2.3E-4. and then i factor out q1 from the left side of the equation and solve from there.

Now you have quadratic equation there, q12+3.56E-10 = 2.3E-4*q1, which you can easily solve.

Related to Coulombs's law problem, asked to find an unknown charge.

What is Coulomb's law?

Coulomb's law is a fundamental law of physics that describes the electrostatic interaction between two charged particles. It states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

How do you calculate the force between two charged particles using Coulomb's law?

The force between two charged particles can be calculated using the following equation: F = k(q1q2)/r2, where F is the force, k is the Coulomb's constant (9 x 109 Nm2/C2), q1 and q2 are the charges of the particles, and r is the distance between them.

What is the unit of charge used in Coulomb's law?

The unit of charge used in Coulomb's law is Coulomb (C). One Coulomb is equivalent to the charge of approximately 6.24 x 1018 protons or electrons.

How do you find the unknown charge in a Coulomb's law problem?

To find the unknown charge in a Coulomb's law problem, you need to rearrange the equation to solve for the unknown charge. For example, if the force and the other charge are known, you can rearrange the equation to find the unknown charge: q1 = F(r2)/kq2.

What is the significance of Coulomb's constant in Coulomb's law?

Coulomb's constant (k) is a proportionality constant that relates the force between two charged particles to their charges and the distance between them. It is a fundamental constant in electrostatics and its value is determined experimentally.