Coulombs vs Amps: Understanding the Discrepancy in Charge Measurement

• Thread starter Romperstomper
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Amps
In summary, there is a discrepancy between the amount of charge (in coulombs) that can be placed on an object and the current (in amperes) that is considered reasonable. This is due to the fact that current is measured as the net charge over time, not the total charge. A current of 10A (equivalent to 10C/s) is considered reasonable, but can still have harmful effects on humans. The rate of flow of electrons can be estimated using the formula (10C/s) * (1 e / 1.60 x 10-19 C) = 6.25 x 1019 e/s. Many household devices, such as air compressors and welders, require
Romperstomper
A coulumb is a massive amount of charge, almost impossible to place a charge of 1C onto an object. Yet, a current of 10A, 10C/s is quite reasonable. Explain the discrepancy?

I know it has to do with the fact that current is measured as the net charge over time, but I can't fully explain it. Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have misunderstood it a little bit. 10A currents means that 10 C of charge is flowing through the given part or wire, it means that 10 C charge is entering and leaving the wire at the same time. You can compare it to a pipe with water flowing in it. But you are taking it as 10 C current appears on the wire in 1 sec.

I'm curious: what do you mean by quite reasonable? In terms of physiological effects of currents, currents in milliamps can be quite harmful, and a 1 A current can be deadly. So from a human point of view, 10 A is not something you want to mess with. I haven't seen 10 A anywhere before, so I'm wondering if there is a specific device you saw that draws such a large current.

(10 C/s) * (1 e / 1.60 x 10-19 C) = 6.25 x 1019 e/s

Is that a reasonable rate of flow of electrons? Anyone?

cepheid said:
I haven't seen 10 A anywhere before, so I'm wondering if there is a specific device you saw that draws such a large current.

Yes it is. It depends on the voltage applied. For example, an electric heater of 2 kW connected to a 230 V supply draws about 9 A. (The power is voltage times current.) Just look around in your flat and check the power (watts) of the light bulbs, computer, micro, tv, and so on.

ehild

aekanshchumber said:
You have misunderstood it a little bit. 10A currents means that 10 C of charge is flowing through the given part or wire, it means that 10 C charge is entering and leaving the wire at the same time. You can compare it to a pipe with water flowing in it. But you are taking it as 10 C current appears on the wire in 1 sec.

My book defines amps as C/S...or coulumbs per unit time...but the definition of current is given as the amount of charge flowing through a certain region, so I guess that's where my confusion is placed.

This is a discussion question in my book. What I'm thinking is that it's 10 C flowing through the wire, not 10C stored in it, and that's why it's reasonable. Is this right?

cepheid said:
I'm curious: what do you mean by quite reasonable? In terms of physiological effects of currents, currents in milliamps can be quite harmful, and a 1 A current can be deadly. So from a human point of view, 10 A is not something you want to mess with. I haven't seen 10 A anywhere before, so I'm wondering if there is a specific device you saw that draws such a large current.

I have an air compressor and a small welder that require 15A. 15A is the max rating on most household outlets.

Ok cool^^. I just wanted to know.

Romperstomper said:
My book defines amps as C/S...or coulumbs per unit time...but the definition of current is given as the amount of charge flowing through a certain region, so I guess that's where my confusion is placed.

Current is the amount of charge flowing through the cross-section of the conductor in unit time. You can imagine that C/s in the following way. You charge a body, say, a big sphere through a wire that is connected to a source. The charge flows onto the sphere through the wire. The increment of the charge on the sphere in unit time equals the charge flowing through the wire during the same time, that is, the current.

This is a discussion question in my book. What I'm thinking is that it's 10 C flowing through the wire, not 10C stored in it, and that's why it's reasonable. Is this right?

This is right. There is no charge stored in the wire, it contains equal amount of positive and negative charges, positive metal ions and negative electrons which are the "charge carriers" in metals. The amount of both the positive and negative charge is quite high (try to estimate, how much is it in a piece of wire) but they cancel each other. The current is proportional to the density of the charge carriers N, their average "drift" velocity v, their charge q, and the cross section A. I=NqvA.

ehild

Many CPUs (the device which is at the heart of your computers) dissipate about 70W, running at about 2V. This means your computer CPU draws around 35A.

Related to Coulombs vs Amps: Understanding the Discrepancy in Charge Measurement

1. What is the difference between Coulombs and Amps?

Coulombs and Amps are both units of measurement for electric charge. Coulombs measure the amount of charge, while Amps measure the rate at which charge flows. In other words, Coulombs refer to the total amount of charge, while Amps refer to the flow of charge per second.

2. Why is there a discrepancy between Coulombs and Amps?

The discrepancy between Coulombs and Amps arises because they are measuring different aspects of electric charge. Coulombs measure the total amount of charge, while Amps measure the rate of charge flow. This means that even though the same amount of charge may be present, the Amps may vary depending on the speed at which the charge is flowing.

3. Which unit of measurement is more important in understanding electric charge?

Both Coulombs and Amps are important in understanding electric charge. Coulombs give us a measure of the total amount of charge present, while Amps tell us about the rate at which the charge is flowing. Both units are necessary to fully understand the nature of electric charge.

4. How are Coulombs and Amps related?

Coulombs and Amps are related through the equation I = Q/t, where I is the current in Amps, Q is the charge in Coulombs, and t is the time in seconds. This means that the current (Amps) is equal to the charge (Coulombs) divided by the time. So, if we know the charge and the time, we can calculate the current, and vice versa.

5. Which unit is used more frequently in practical applications?

In practical applications, both Coulombs and Amps are used. However, Amps may be used more frequently as it is a measure of the rate of charge flow, which is important in determining the efficiency and performance of electrical devices. Coulombs, on the other hand, are more commonly used in theoretical or mathematical calculations.