Coulomb's Law of two copper spheres

In summary, the question from the textbook asks about the number of electrons in two copper spheres, with a mass of .4 kg each, separated by 2 m. Part (a) is solved using dimensional analysis, resulting in 1.10x10^26 electrons. Part (b) asks about the number of electrons needed to be moved in order to create an attractive force of 1.00x10^4 N between the spheres. Using the equation F=kq^2/r^2 and knowing the charge per electron, the number of electrons can be calculated by solving for q and then converting it to the number of electrons. Both spheres have the same magnitude of charge (as they were originally neutral), and the number of
eil2001
Here's a question from my textbook:

Two copper spheres, each having a mass of .4 kg, are separated by 2 m.
(a) How many electrons does each sphere contain? The atomic mass of copper is 63.5 g/mol, and its atomic number is 29.
(b) How many electrons would have to be removed from one sphere and added to the other to cause an attractive force of 1.00x10^4 N (roughly 1 ton)?

I got (a) by dimensional analysis:
(.4 kg Cu) x (1 mol/.0635 kg Cu) x (6.02x10&23 molec/1 mol) x (29 electrons/molec) = 1.10x10^26 electrons

But, I am having trouble with part (b). I was thinking that you should use the equation:
F=k(q_1)(q_2)/r^2 , but I'm not really sure how to proceed. I would appreciate any help. Thanks so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
eil2001 said:
Here's a question from my textbook:

Two copper spheres, each having a mass of .4 kg, are separated by 2 m.
(a) How many electrons does each sphere contain? The atomic mass of copper is 63.5 g/mol, and its atomic number is 29.
(b) How many electrons would have to be removed from one sphere and added to the other to cause an attractive force of 1.00x10^4 N (roughly 1 ton)?

I got (a) by dimensional analysis:
(.4 kg Cu) x (1 mol/.0635 kg Cu) x (6.02x10&23 molec/1 mol) x (29 electrons/molec) = 1.10x10^26 electrons

But, I am having trouble with part (b). I was thinking that you should use the equation:
F=k(q_1)(q_2)/r^2 , but I'm not really sure how to proceed. I would appreciate any help. Thanks so much!

[tex] F = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \times \frac{|q_1| |q_2|}{r^2} [/tex]

if the amount of charge removed from one sphere is the same as what is added to the other, then [tex] |q_1|=|q_2| [/tex]. you know what [tex]F[/tex] and [tex]r[/tex] is, so solve for [tex]|q|^2[/tex].

Last edited:
eil2001 said:
You are on the right track. Realize that q_1 and q_2 have the same magnitude, so you can write F=kq^2/r^2 and solve for q. Then, knowing the charge per electron, you can figure the number of electrons that must have been moved.

Thanks, but why should q_1 and q_2 have the same magnitude? And then how do you go from "q" to the number of electrons?

eil2001 said:
Thanks, but why should q_1 and q_2 have the same magnitude?

They're both copper spheres and contain the same number of electrons..

eil2001 said:
Thanks, but why should q_1 and q_2 have the same magnitude? And then how do you go from "q" to the number of electrons?
The copper sphere were originally neutral, because they had as many electrons as protons.

By removing some n electrons from sphere 1, you give it a net positive charge, Q1 = ne (where e = magnitude of charge on an electron/proton = 1.6 * 10^-19 C), due to the n excess protons it now has.

Sphere 2, having gained these n excess electrons will now have a net negative charge Q2 = -ne, due to n excess electrons.

Q1 = ne, Q2 = -ne, so |Q2| = ne.

Does that answer both your questions ?

eil2001 said:

If u get the "q" in Coulombs,then u can use the fact that electrons have negative charge to write
[tex] q=-|q| [/tex]

then
q C---------------------->"x" electrons
[tex]-1.6 \cdot 10^{-19}C [/tex] ------------------>1 electron.

Solve for "x".

Daniel.

Related to Coulomb's Law of two copper spheres

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of physics that describes the electrostatic interaction between two charged particles. It states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How does Coulomb's Law apply to two copper spheres?

Coulomb's Law applies to two copper spheres because they are made of a material that allows for the transfer of electric charges. The law states that the force between the two spheres will be directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What is the significance of the charges in Coulomb's Law?

The charges in Coulomb's Law represent the amount of electric charge present on the two objects. The magnitude of the force between the objects will depend on the size and sign of these charges. Like charges will repel each other, while opposite charges will attract each other.

4. How does the distance between the two spheres affect the force according to Coulomb's Law?

The distance between the two spheres has an inverse relationship with the force according to Coulomb's Law. As the distance between the spheres increases, the force of attraction or repulsion decreases. This is because the electric field generated by the charges weakens as the distance increases.

5. Can Coulomb's Law be applied to objects other than copper spheres?

Yes, Coulomb's Law can be applied to any two charged objects, regardless of their shape or material. As long as the objects have electric charges and are at a certain distance from each other, the force between them can be calculated using this law.