Simple application of Coulomb's Law/Equation

In summary: I was thinking.The text shows a worked solution, not just an answer, so I can see where my work differs from the texts, and it differs only in that it has only 15.12 in the numerator of Coulomb's equation, not -15.12^2. :)Thanks for clarifying!
kostoglotov

Homework Statement

Two pieces of copper weighing 10 grams each are 10 cm apart and 1/1000 electrons are transferred from one to the other. Find the force of electrostatic attraction between them.

Homework Equations

[/B]
Molar mass Cu: 63.5 g/mol

[tex] \frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0} = 9 \times 10^9 [/tex]

##e = 1.6 \times 10^{-19} \ C##

Avagadro: ##6 \times 10^{23}##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Actually, I only have one minor thing I don't understand.

In my solution I have

[tex] F = 9 \times 10^9 \frac{-15.12 \times +15.12}{0.1^2} [/tex]

Whereas the solution outlined in the book only uses one charge in the numerator

[tex] F = 9 \times 10^9 \frac{15.12}{0.1^2} [/tex]

So my answer is out by a factor of 15.12.

I don't get it. Wouldn't the charge on one of the copper pieces be +15.12 C and the other -15.12 C and therefore q1 x q2 would equal ##- 15.12^2##...?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show how you arrived at 15.12 C for the charge? It seems a bit small to me for 1/1000 of the electrons in a 10g chunk of copper (29 electrons per atom).

gneill said:
Can you show how you arrived at 15.12 C for the charge? It seems a bit small to me for 1/1000 of the electrons in a 10g chunk of copper (29 electrons per atom).
I believe each copper atom is only considered to provide one free electron.
https://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110411224645AATo5fc

gneill said:
I agree, but the problem as stated by the OP says 1/1000 of the electrons. So I wished to see the reasoning.

My reasoning is exactly the same as the solution as outlined in the text. No different. Number of moles of copper in a 10g piece multiplied by avagadro multiplied by 1/1000.

I get 15.12 C the book says 15.12 C. If we're both wrong, that's interesting, but what I'd like to know is: Should it be 15.12 or -15.12^2 in the numerator of Coulomb's Equation?

kostoglotov said:
My reasoning is exactly the same as the solution as outlined in the text. No different. Number of moles of copper in a 10g piece multiplied by avagadro multiplied by 1/1000.

Please. I say 15.12 C the book says 15.12 C. If we're both wrong, that's interesting, but beside the point. Should it be 15.12 or -15.12^2 in the numerator?
If we're questioning the book's solution then I believe that it behooves us to examine the details. But perhaps that's just my picky nature :smile:

One could answer the question by considering the units of the equation... kQ/r2 yields a field strength (V/m or N/C) rather than a force.

gneill said:
If we're questioning the book's solution then I believe that it behooves us to examine the details. But perhaps that's just my picky nature :smile:

One could answer the question by considering the units of the equation... kQ/r2 yields a field strength (V/m or N/C) rather than a force.

Sorry, I sounded a bit pushy there, I went back and edited my comment pretty much immediately after, realizing.

Interesting! Thanks for the reply. I should have thought of doing dimensional analysis on it. I really should have. Thanks again.

gneill said:
If we're questioning the book's solution then I believe that it behooves us to examine the details. But perhaps that's just my picky nature

The text shows a worked solution, not just an answer, so I can see where my work differs from the texts, and it differs only in that it has only 15.12 in the numerator of Coulomb's equation, not -15.12^2. :)

I don't understand. The book is wrong by a factor of about 15 x 109 and all we care about is a factor of 15 ? I understand kosto, but I feel with gneill a whole lot more.
What book is this and what does teacher say ?

BvU said:
I don't understand. The book is wrong by a factor of about 15 x 109 and all we care about is a factor of 15 ? I understand kosto, but I feel with gneill a whole lot more.
What book is this and what does teacher say ?

How is the book wrong by a factor of 15 x 10^9? I don't think it is. It gives an answer of about 2 x 10^14 N for the force between the charges.

It is Physics for Competitions by C. G Agrawal Vol II A Master Book for IIT, PMT, AIEEE, UPSEAT, CET, PET, JEE, BCECE

Ah, thanks for clarifying. The book has the right numerical value but the 2 was missing.

I was forgetting the 1 in a 1000 , and ended up comparing that wrong value to 2 x 10^14/ 15000 which is also the wrong idea of what the book might have come up with. Two wrongs never make a right and there you are :smile: talking nonsense.

Time to slow down o:) !
Once again. Oh boy.
I'm almost ready to adopt a PF signature like "sorry folks!"

Likes kostoglotov
BvU said:
Ah, thanks for clarifying. The book has the right numerical value but the 2 was missing.

I was forgetting the 1 in a 1000 , and ended up comparing that wrong value to 2 x 10^14/ 15000 which is also the wrong idea of what the book might have come up with. Two wrongs never make a right and there you are :smile: talking nonsense.

Time to slow down o:) !
Once again. Oh boy.
I'm almost ready to adopt a PF signature like "sorry folks!"

LOL, I think I need to adopt the sorry folks signature. Though at the moment I can pass it off as being a noob.

I think next time I should just write out everything, especially since folks here seem to want to get more deeply into explanations than in other parts of the internet. Which is excellent. I didn't want to write a longer post originally because I didn't want to waste anybody's time, just cut to chase sort of thing.

Next time I need to include more of the working.

BvU said:
what does teacher say ?

No teacher, teaching myself right now. I imagine I'll be posting around here a lot :oldsurprised:

kostoglotov said:
No teacher, teaching myself right now. I imagine I'll be posting around here a lot
[/QUOTE]kudos and good luck. look forward to the next post :cool:

Related to Simple application of Coulomb's Law/Equation

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of electrostatics that describes the force of attraction or repulsion between two charged particles. It states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the two charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. What is the equation for Coulomb's Law?

The equation for Coulomb's Law is F = k(q1q2)/r2, where F is the force between two particles, k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the particles, and r is the distance between them.

3. What are the units of Coulomb's constant?

Coulomb's constant, k, has a value of approximately 9 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2. Its units are Nm^2/C^2, which can also be written as kgm^3/C^2s^2 in the SI system.

4. How is Coulomb's Law used in everyday life?

Coulomb's Law is used to understand and predict the behavior of electric charges in everyday life. It is the basis for many technological devices, such as capacitors, electric motors, and generators. It also helps explain phenomena like lightning and the behavior of matter at the atomic level.

5. How does distance affect the force in Coulomb's Law?

According to Coulomb's Law, the force between two charged particles is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between two particles increases, the force between them decreases exponentially. In other words, the force decreases much faster than the distance increases.