Coulomb's Law and electric force

In summary: Remember to always check your units and make sure they are consistent. Keep in mind that the constant k in Coulomb's law is 8.99 * 10^9 N*m^2/C^2. In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving Coulomb's law and converting nano-coulombs to coulombs. The solution involves multiplying by 10^-9 and being mindful of units and the constant k. Patience and careful attention to detail are important in problem solving.
angel_romano
I can't seem to figure out how to do this problem. I've tried the equation for coulomb's law, but I can't get the right answer. If somebody can just help me with setting the problem up.

Two objects ar rubbed against each other. Object B gains a charge of -5 nano-coulombs. What is the electric force between the two objects when the distance between them is 3.0 cm? Also, how do I convert the nano-coulombs to coulombs?

Physics news on Phys.org
angel_romano said:
I can't seem to figure out how to do this problem. I've tried the equation for coulomb's law, but I can't get the right answer. If somebody can just help me with setting the problem up.

Two objects ar rubbed against each other. Object B gains a charge of -5 nano-coulombs. What is the electric force between the two objects when the distance between them is 3.0 cm? Also, how do I convert the nano-coulombs to coulombs?

You multiply by [tex] 10^{-9} [/tex], ([tex]1 nc= 10^{-9} C [/tex]).

the question si very ambiguous. *Assuming* that the two objects were initially uncharged and *assuming* that they can be treated as point charges then the answer should be given by Coulomb's law. (what did you use for the two charges? One should be +5 nc and the other -5 nc. Also, did you put the distance in meters?)

Pat

Coulomb's Law is an important principle in the field of electromagnetism that helps us understand the relationship between electric charges and the force between them. The equation for Coulomb's Law is F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where F is the electric force, k is a constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

To solve this problem, you will need to plug in the values given in the question into the equation. In this case, q1 and q2 are not given, but we can assume that they are equal since both objects are being rubbed against each other. Therefore, we can rewrite the equation as F = k(q^2)/r^2.

Next, we need to convert the charge of -5 nano-coulombs to coulombs. To do this, we need to remember that 1 nano-coulomb (nC) is equal to 1 x 10^-9 coulombs (C). So, -5 nano-coulombs can be written as -5 x 10^-9 C.

Now, we can plug in the values into the equation:

F = (9 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2)(-5 x 10^-9 C)^2/(0.03 m)^2

Solving this equation, we get F = -7.5 x 10^-4 N. The negative sign indicates that the force is attractive, meaning the two objects will be pulled towards each other.

In conclusion, to solve this problem, you will need to use the equation for Coulomb's Law and convert the charge from nano-coulombs to coulombs. Remember to pay attention to units and use the correct values in the equation. I hope this explanation helps you better understand how to approach problems involving Coulomb's Law and electric force.

Related to Coulomb's Law and electric force

What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law in physics that describes the electrostatic force between two charged particles. It states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

What is the formula for electric force?

The formula for electric force is F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where F is the force, k is the Coulomb's constant (9x10^9 Nm^2/C^2), q1 and q2 are the charges of the two particles, and r is the distance between them.

How does distance affect the electric force?

According to Coulomb's Law, the electric force between two charged particles decreases as the distance between them increases. This is because the force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance, meaning that as the distance increases, the force decreases exponentially.

What is the unit of electric force?

The unit of electric force is Newtons (N), which is the same unit as force in general. This is because electric force is a type of force, just like gravity or friction.

How does the direction of the electric force depend on the charges of the particles?

The direction of the electric force between two charged particles depends on the sign of the charges. If the charges are of the same sign (both positive or both negative), the force will be repulsive, meaning it pushes the particles away from each other. If the charges are of opposite signs, the force will be attractive, meaning it pulls the particles towards each other.