Electricity and Magnetism Electric Field Problem

In summary: But I think the real answer is somewhere in between those two extremes, which is why I was having trouble figuring it out.In summary, this problem has many solutions that can be solved by using Coulomb's law, but it is easier if one of the charges is fixed.
astrolady022
1. Problem Statement:
Find positions on the x-axis for the charges Q1 = -1 C and Q2 = +3 C so that the electric field is zero at x = 0.

Homework Equations

:[/B]
I'm thinking I need to use Coulomb's law for this one. I'm just having trouble figuring out where to start. Coulomb's states E=kQ/r^2.

3. My Attempt:
So far I have set up a drawing. I am not sure if I need to be considering the electric field lines for this and if they have a role in the problem. I have considered using the forces to try to relate the distances between the three points but I have had no luck.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF.
astrolady022 said:
I'm thinking I need to use Coulomb's law for this one. I'm just having trouble figuring out where to start. Coulomb's states E=kQ/r^2.
Yes, do use that equation, and remember that the electric field points from + to -. There are actually many solutions to this problem, unless the position of one of the charges is fixed. Was that the whole problem statement? Is there a diagram (use the Upload button to add a PDF or JPEG image to a post).

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

Yes, do use that equation, and remember that the electric field points from + to -. There are actually many solutions to this problem, unless the position of one of the charges is fixed. Was that the whole problem statement? Is there a diagram (use the Upload button to add a PDF or JPEG image to a post).
The above is the entire problem. There was no image. Using the electric field equation, I get (using r1 and r2 as the two distances from the zero point) the equation -r2^2=3r1^2. From here should I just plug in arbitrary values to get a distance?

berkeman said:
remember that the electric field points from + to -.
Or said better, the electric field points away from a + charge, and in toward a - charge.

berkeman said:
Or said better, the electric field points away from a + charge, and in toward a - charge.

That makes sense.

astrolady022 said:
From here should I just plug in arbitrary values to get a distance?
The issue is that you can see how once you pick one distance for either charge, that determines the position of the other charge. But if the first charge's position is arbitrary, then there are infinitely many solutions. Usually in this type of problem, one of the charges is fixed somewhere on the axis, and you are asked to find the position of the other charge to make the E-field zero somewhere...

berkeman said:
The issue is that you can see how once you pick one distance for either charge, that determines the position of the other charge. But if the first charge's position is arbitrary, then there are infinitely many solutions. Usually in this type of problem, one of the charges is fixed somewhere on the axis, and you are asked to find the position of the other charge to make the E-field zero somewhere...

Those are the problems I have previously seen. I think that's why this one got me a little confused.

Well, I think all you can do is express the position of one charge in terms of the other with an equation. You can show some example solutions given some position of the + charge as examples, I suppose.

Related to Electricity and Magnetism Electric Field Problem

1. How do electric and magnetic fields interact?

Electric and magnetic fields interact through electromagnetic forces. When a charged particle moves through a magnetic field, it experiences a force perpendicular to its direction of motion. Similarly, when a charged particle moves through an electric field, it experiences a force in the direction of the field.

2. What is the difference between electric fields and magnetic fields?

The main difference between electric fields and magnetic fields is the type of force they exert on charged particles. Electric fields exert a force in the direction of the field, while magnetic fields exert a force perpendicular to the direction of the field.

3. How is an electric field created?

An electric field is created by the presence of a charged object. When a charged object is placed in a space, it exerts an influence on the surrounding area, creating an electric field. The strength of the electric field depends on the magnitude of the charge and the distance from the charged object.

4. What is the relationship between electric and magnetic fields?

Electric and magnetic fields are closely related and are both components of the electromagnetic force. They both have the ability to influence charged particles and can be transformed into one another through electromagnetic induction.

5. How can I calculate the strength of an electric field?

The strength of an electric field can be calculated by dividing the force exerted on a charged particle by the charge of that particle. This is known as Coulomb's law, and the formula is E = F/q, where E is the electric field strength, F is the force, and q is the charge of the particle.