Coulomb Law and Vectors - How do you find a scalar answer from the vector form?

In summary, we can use Coulomb's Law, F=kq1*q2/r^2, to find the force exerted between two small metal spheres with equal charges q. By setting this force equal to the given magnitude, 0.05N, we can solve for q and find that each sphere has a charge of 2.8 x 10^-13 C. We do not need to consider the direction of the force, so we do not need to use the vector form of the equation.
bmarson123
Coulomb Law and Vectors - How do you find a scalar answer from the vector form??

Two small metal spheres carry equal charges q. They are located at positions r1 = (1,1,0) nm and r2 = (0,0,0) nm and feel a repulsive force of magnitude (mod) F = 0.05 N

How much charge is on each sphere?

Write down the force on the charge at r2 in vector form.

What is the potential energy contained in this arrangement of charges?

Homework Equations

F21 = K q1q2 / r213 * r21

The Attempt at a Solution

First I thought I needed to convert everything into standard measurements, so metres.

But then when I put things into the equation I thought maybe stuff canceled out. But I figure I can't use F = 0.05N directly because in this equation F is a vector?

Anyway what I did was...

0.05 = K 2q / [(1,1,0) - (0,0,0)]3 * [(1,1,0) - (0,0,0)]

Then said that the vectors top and bottom cancel out so got...

0.05 = 2qk

which gave q = 2.8 x 10 -13 C

I didn't have a clue where to start with the rest of the question!

Physics news on Phys.org

F21 = K q1q2 / r213 * r21

The r21^3 in the denominator should really be |r21|^3: the cube of the absolute magnitude of the distance between the two charges. The equation would then give you the force exerted as a vector.

However, you don't really care about the direction of the force; all you know is the magnitude, which is 0.05N. So you should use F=kq1*q2/r^2, where r is just the distance between the two charges. Note that it's q1*q2, not q1+q2!

Related to Coulomb Law and Vectors - How do you find a scalar answer from the vector form?

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that describes the relationship between the electrostatic force acting between two charged particles. It states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. What is the vector form of Coulomb's Law?

The vector form of Coulomb's Law takes into account the direction of the force between two charged particles. It is expressed as F = k(q1q2/r^2) * r̂, where F is the force, k is a constant, q1 and q2 are the charges, r is the distance between the charges, and r̂ is a unit vector in the direction of the force.

3. How do you find the scalar answer from the vector form of Coulomb's Law?

To find the scalar answer from the vector form of Coulomb's Law, you can use the magnitude of the force vector, which is given by F = k(q1q2/r^2). This represents the magnitude of the force acting between the two charged particles without taking into account the direction.

4. Can Coulomb's Law be applied to point charges only?

No, Coulomb's Law can be applied to both point charges and charged objects with finite size. However, for charged objects, we need to consider the distribution of charge and use integration to calculate the force.

5. How is Coulomb's Law related to the principle of superposition?

Coulomb's Law follows the principle of superposition, which states that the net force on a charged particle due to multiple charges is equal to the vector sum of the individual forces from each charge. This means that the total force acting on a charged particle is the sum of the forces from each individual charge, calculated using Coulomb's Law.