Could we use flowing air as a capacitor dielectric?

In summary, an air capacitor would not be a viable energy storage option because the flowing air would not retain a dielectric constant necessary for the capacitor to work properly.
RGClark
I wanted to use air as the dielectric for a capacitor for energy storage for aircraft. My thinking was that we could charge the capacitor on the ground and leave the capicitor open to the flowing air in flight. As long as the density of the flowing air remained the same, the capacitance would stay the same.
Capacitors usually don't offer significant advantages over chemical batteries per weight because you have to consider the weight of the dielectric that must be carried along. This is true even when the dielectric is air that is enclosed and must be carried along. But I thought an open air dielectric wouldn't have this problem as you're just using the surrounding air as the dielectric.
The question is would the flowing air cause the capacitor to discharge?
Would the leakage be unacceptably high in this case?

- Bob Clark

Physics news on Phys.org
There are open-air capacitors. Old-style radios used a set of aluminum(I think) plates that would variably mesh in between a set of non-moving plates, with ambient air as the dielectric.
At the time, I think they were called "variable capacitors" and are probably still available today.

But, I don't think that "flowing air" would work well, if at all, because the flowing air would not retain a dielectric constant necessary for a capacitor to work properly But that's just my quess.

It'd be an incredibly tiny (read: insignificant) energy source.

- Warren

chroot said:
It'd be an incredibly tiny (read: insignificant) energy source.

- Warren

Yeah, you're right. I did a rough calculation that led me to believe I could store significant energy in an air capacitor if the plates and distance between them were at the ten's of meters scale.
Unfortunately I left out the factor 8.85 x 10 ^-12 out of the calculation for capacitance. So my calculation was nearly 10^11 too big!

- Bob Clark :redface:

Related to Could we use flowing air as a capacitor dielectric?

1. Can air be used as a dielectric in a capacitor?

Yes, air can be used as a dielectric in a capacitor. In fact, air is commonly used as a dielectric in high-voltage capacitors due to its high breakdown voltage and low dielectric constant.

2. How does air act as a dielectric in a capacitor?

Air acts as a dielectric in a capacitor by separating the two conductive plates and preventing direct contact, thus creating an electric field between the plates. The strength of the electric field is determined by the distance between the plates and the dielectric constant of air.

3. Are there any disadvantages to using air as a dielectric in a capacitor?

One disadvantage of using air as a dielectric in a capacitor is that it has a relatively low dielectric constant compared to other materials. This means that a larger distance between the plates is needed to achieve the same capacitance as a capacitor with a higher dielectric constant material. Additionally, air is not suitable for use in capacitors that require a high level of stability or precision.

4. What are the potential benefits of using air as a dielectric in a capacitor?

The main benefit of using air as a dielectric in a capacitor is its high breakdown voltage. This allows for the creation of high-voltage capacitors without the risk of electrical breakdown. Air is also a readily available and inexpensive material, making it a cost-effective option for certain types of capacitors.

5. Are there any safety concerns when using air as a dielectric in a capacitor?

While air is generally considered a safe material to use as a dielectric in capacitors, there are some safety concerns to keep in mind. High-voltage capacitors using air as a dielectric can still pose a risk of electrical shock or fire if not handled properly. It is important to follow proper safety precautions and guidelines when working with high-voltage capacitors using any type of dielectric material.