Could We Survive on a Planet with a 24-Minute Day?

In summary, Galileo tried to convince church leaders of the correctness of the Copernican Theory. He had difficulties because the leading thinkers of his day couldn't believe in the rotation of the Earth on its axis. They thought that a spinning Earth would be easily felt and the Earth must be stationary. He also mentioned that at a rotational speed of 17 or greater, the Earth would be horribly deformed into an oblate spheroid.
Thecla
Galileo tried to convince church leaders of the correctness of the Copernican Theory. He had difficulties because the leading thinkers of his day couldn't believe in the rotation of the Earth on its axis. They thought that a spinning Earth would be easily felt and the Earth must be stationary.
In normal day to day life we don't feel the Earth rotating. Could we ever "feel" the rotation of the Earth if it rotated on its axis every 24 minutes instead of 24 hours? I am not talking about how the evolution of life on Earth would be different or the weather patterns would be different if it rotated much faster, but pure mechanics of doing things. like walking down the street or driving a car. Is there any rotational speed that would throw people off the Earth's surface, like a child thrown from a merry-go-round, if the Earth rotated faster?

Physics news on Phys.org
At that rotational speed I'm not sure the Earth would be able to hold itself together. At a minimum it would be horribly deformed into an oblate spheroid and there would be a very large difference between the force of gravity felt at the poles with that felt near the equator, with the latter being much less than the former.

Thecla said:
Galileo tried to convince church leaders of the correctness of the Copernican Theory. He had difficulties because the leading thinkers of his day couldn't believe in the rotation of the Earth on its axis. They thought that a spinning Earth would be easily felt and the Earth must be stationary.
In normal day to day life we don't feel the Earth rotating. Could we ever "feel" the rotation of the Earth if it rotated on its axis every 24 minutes instead of 24 hours? I am not talking about how the evolution of life on Earth would be different or the weather patterns would be different if it rotated much faster, but pure mechanics of doing things. like walking down the street or driving a car. Is there any rotational speed that would throw people off the Earth's surface, like a child thrown from a merry-go-round, if the Earth rotated faster?

Yeah, and it corresponds to about 17 rotations per day (or greater), if I did my math right.

Edit: at the equator, I mean.

Drakkith said:
... it would be horribly deformed into an oblate spheroid

Hey, don't be talking about my gut like that !

phinds said:
Hey, don't be talking about my gut like that !

How your gut holds together under those stresses is one of the great unsolved mysteries in science. I vote for dark matter. You eat everything.

Even if the Earth retained its shape, we would definitely feel it. Our angular velocity would be 60 times greater, and centrifugal force is proprtional to the square of it.
Average person from far north of the USA would lose about 7 kilograms just by traveling to New York.

Last edited:

Related to Could We Survive on a Planet with a 24-Minute Day?

What is the significance of Galileo's discovery of a rotating earth?

The discovery of a rotating earth by Galileo was significant because it challenged the widely accepted belief at the time that the earth was the center of the universe. This discovery paved the way for the heliocentric model of the solar system, which has been supported by scientific evidence and observations.

How did Galileo prove that the earth rotates?

Galileo used various methods to prove that the earth rotates, including observations of the moons of Jupiter and the phases of Venus. He also conducted experiments with pendulums and objects dropped from towers, which showed that the earth's rotation affected their motions.

What was the reaction to Galileo's discovery?

Galileo's discovery of a rotating earth was met with opposition from the Catholic Church, which saw it as conflicting with their beliefs about the earth being stationary. Galileo was eventually put on trial and forced to recant his findings, but his work continued to influence future scientific discoveries.

How did Galileo's discovery impact the field of astronomy?

Galileo's discovery of a rotating earth revolutionized the field of astronomy and paved the way for the development of modern observational techniques. It also led to further advancements in understanding the motions and behaviors of other planets and celestial bodies in our solar system.

What is Galileo's legacy in the scientific community?

Galileo's legacy in the scientific community is significant, as he is considered one of the fathers of modern science. His discoveries and theories have greatly influenced our understanding of the universe and continue to be studied and built upon by scientists today.