Big deal that we speed along on the surface of the Earth

In summary, the speed at which the Earth rotates around its axis, which can vary from 485 mph at the poles to 1,000 mph at the equator, is largely irrelevant to human experiences. While it may make a difference for more advanced activities such as launching ballistic missiles or flying jets, for basic human activities like running or walking, the rotational velocity of the Earth is not significant.
silvanet
I often read or hear people making a big deal that we speed along on the surface of the Earth at about 1,000 miles an hour - well, at least on the equator. In Miami, were only "speeding" along at about 900 mph; in Chicago, they're slower, only around 775 mph; and in Anchorage, even slower, only about 485. Nearer the poles, persons are relatively moving like snails. Is there any significance to that speed as far as human experience goes? Or is it largely irrelevant. Everybody just feels like they're standing still, and for almost all their imaginable earthly activities it makes no difference. I mean other than if the sun were to instantly vanish they would go flying off the Earth's surface at different velocities?

How significant is 445 meters per second to the fastest men on Earth who run 10 meters per second? Would whether they were running with or against the Earth's rotation make a slight difference on their times, like running with or against the rotation on a running machine? Would that difference be actually noticeable in Anchorage, or Reykjavic? Of course runners run same course, so no advantage; but, I mean relative to an individual runner. I would guess that it does make a difference, when you're traveling at speeds faster than sound, whether you're moving in the direction of Earth's rotation or against it.

I know this may sound like a stupid question to someone who has advanced understanding of physical motion. I did study physics in high school and a couple of courses in college, both with calculus, but only one with a lab. My daughter is taking a college intro physics course and I'm trying to help her. These thoughts just started coming up in my own mind as we worked on centripetal acceleration and angular velocity. I hope this is an appropriate post. Just wondering, and I'd appreciate comments from people who know the subject.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

It's largely irrelevant. The centripetal acceleration required to stay on the surface of the Earth at the equator is tiny compared to the amount of acceleration gravity provides for people.

Velocities are always relative. The question for someone running on the surface of the Earth is what is his velocity relative to the surface of the earth, or relative to the atmosphere which provides air resistance to his movement. For these situations the rotational velocity of the surface of the Earth won't matter at all. Now if you want to fire ballistic missiles or fly a jet a long distance over the Earth in a short period of time, then one has to account for the motion of the Earth by computing the effect of the Coriolis force. But for more basic human experiences, it's not relevant.

Related to Big deal that we speed along on the surface of the Earth

What is the significance of our speed on the surface of the Earth?

The speed at which we move along the surface of the Earth is significant because it affects our perception of time and space, as well as our ability to travel and explore our planet. Our speed is also influenced by various factors such as the Earth's rotation and its orbit around the sun.

How fast do we move on the surface of the Earth?

The speed at which we move on the surface of the Earth varies depending on our location. At the equator, we are moving at a speed of approximately 1670 kilometers per hour due to the Earth's rotation. This speed decreases as we move towards the poles, where the Earth's rotation is slower.

What is the impact of our speed on the Earth's environment?

Our speed on the surface of the Earth has a significant impact on the environment. As we move, we create air and noise pollution, contribute to climate change, and disrupt ecosystems. It is important to consider the effects of our speed and find ways to minimize its impact on the environment.

Can our speed on the surface of the Earth change?

Yes, our speed on the surface of the Earth can change due to various factors. For example, changes in the Earth's rotation or orbit can affect our speed, as well as human activities such as transportation and development. Our speed can also be influenced by technological advancements and improvements in transportation methods.

How does our speed on the surface of the Earth compare to other objects in the universe?

Compared to other objects in the universe, our speed on the surface of the Earth is relatively slow. The Earth itself is moving at a high speed as it orbits the sun, and our solar system is moving within the Milky Way galaxy at an even faster speed. In comparison to other galaxies and objects in the universe, our speed on Earth is minuscule.