Could we have an 'economics' sub-forum?

• Thread starter Posy McPostface
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of having a forum for discussions on economics, business, and politics. Some members suggest creating a subforum for these topics, while others raise concerns about moderating and maintaining a healthy discussion. Ultimately, the suggestion is resolved and not implemented due to past issues with political discussions on the forum.
Posy McPostface
Would it be possible to have a forum in regards to all things related to economics?

The issue of talking about politics can be restricted by not allowing talk about economic policy and policymaking take place?

Likes ISamson
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the suggestion! We don't really see the frequency of economics science questions warranting a sub forum and I think it will be too difficult to moderate. You can say no politics, but when the science is generally close to politics it's really hard to keep it out.

Likes phinds, lavinia, Dr. Courtney and 1 other person
Posy McPostface said:
Would it be possible to have a forum in regards to all things related to economics?

The issue of talking about politics can be restricted by not allowing talk about economic policy and policymaking take place?

The responses posted in these two threads should sufficiently address this issue:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/new-forums-request.286660/
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...d-mathematical-economics.892154/#post-5613815

Zz.

Posy McPostface said:
In case your interests include quantative economics, I would like to highly recommend QuantEcon, which nowadays comes with a complete forum. (I learned about this project from @jedishrfu a long time ago.) The forum there is not busy, but WHEN you ask a question or start a discussion, you will receive quality replies and you can learn a lot. It is noise-free.

Likes jedishrfu
My interest in QuantEcon at the time was their support of Julia and Numerical Python. They provided some tutorials on them and links to the Anaconda distribution that included everything needed to work with Julia or Python in the Jupyter notebook IDE.

What about an 'Economics, business and politics' subforum, because there have lately been many 'Economics, business and politics threads posted and I myself have many ideas now.

We should write an 'Official PF Proposal on an 'Economics, business and politics' subforum'...
:smile:

Last edited:
ISamson said:
We should write an Official Proposal on an 'Economics, business and politics' subforum.

"We"? What is this "we"?

It is your idea. So YOU write the proposal, not "we".

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
"We"? What is this "we"?

It is your idea. So YOU write the proposal, not "we".

Zz.

Maybe all the people who contributed to this thread and argued for the subforum would discuss on the 'proposal'... Maybe... Just an interesting, theoretical idea.

Last edited:
ISamson said:
What about an 'Economics, business and politics' subforum, because there have lately been many 'Economics, business and politics threads posted and I myself have many ideas now.
We had a politics forum, but ended it due to the fact that threads turned toxic fairly regularly and that isn't good for the community. This suggestion is resolved, thanks!

Last edited:
Likes dlgoff and ISamson

Related to Could we have an 'economics' sub-forum?

1. What is an economics sub-forum?

An economics sub-forum is a section within a larger online forum dedicated specifically to discussions and information related to the field of economics. It is a place where individuals with an interest in economics can gather to share their knowledge, ask questions, and engage in discussions about various economic topics.

2. Why do we need an economics sub-forum?

An economics sub-forum provides a dedicated space for discussions and information about economics, allowing for a more organized and focused exchange of ideas. It also allows for individuals with a specific interest in economics to connect and engage with others who share their passion.

3. Who can participate in the economics sub-forum?

Anyone with an interest in economics can participate in the economics sub-forum, as long as they follow the forum's rules and guidelines. This includes individuals with varying levels of knowledge and expertise in economics, from beginners to experts.

4. What topics can be discussed in the economics sub-forum?

The topics discussed in the economics sub-forum can vary, but generally include anything related to economics, such as economic theory, current events, policy discussions, and personal finance. The specific topics allowed may depend on the rules and guidelines of the forum.

5. How can an economics sub-forum benefit me?

An economics sub-forum can benefit individuals in several ways. It can provide a platform for learning and sharing knowledge about economics, allow for networking and connecting with others in the field, and offer a space for discussions and debates on economic issues that are relevant and important to individuals. It can also be a source of support and community for those interested in economics.