Could we blow up a planet with our current technology?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of blowing up a planet with our current technology. While some argue that it is technically possible, the availability of materials and the enormous energy requirements make it unlikely. Additionally, some express concern over the safety and ethical implications of attempting such a feat. Others share humorous anecdotes and references to popular culture. Overall, the consensus is that while it may be possible, it is not something that should be attempted.
harp AP 2010
Could we "blow up" a planet with our current technology?

Physics news on Phys.org

Actually, we could, but it depends upon the availability of materials. I'm pretty sure that 5 or 6 trillion tonnes of C4 would be noticeable, not to mention the addition of thermonuclear devices.

The gravitational binding energy of an Earth type planet is of the order of 10^32J = a few 10^20 kilotons.

NobodySpecial said:
The gravitational binding energy of an Earth type planet is of the order of 10^32J = a few 10^20 kilotons.

Oh, sure... get technical about it... :rolleyes:

:biggrin:

Danger said:
Actually, we could, but it depends upon the availability of materials. I'm pretty sure that 5 or 6 trillion tonnes of C4 would be noticeable, not to mention the addition of thermonuclear devices.
Nope, wouldn't make a scratch. All the explosives, conventional and nuclear, along with all the known reserves for making more would be insufficient to noticeably damage the smallest planetoid. Energy requirements for a planet killer are absolutely enormous.

K^2 said:
Nope, wouldn't make a scratch. All the explosives, conventional and nuclear, along with all the known reserves for making more would be insufficient to noticeably damage the smallest planetoid. Energy requirements for a planet killer are absolutely enormous.

But you are referring to everything that we currently have in the world's arsenals. That was the whole point of me specifying a limit of resources. I don't disagree with you in the context that you are referring to, but I do believe that with almost-unlimited future resources it can be done. I also believe in the possibility of a Dyson sphere or a Ringworld, so maybe I'm just a dreamer.

Danger said:

Even if the entire Earth was made up of C4, it wouldn't be enough to overcome gravity. You need about 4*10^7 J/Kg to disperse the Earth beyond the reach of gravity. (see link about death star above).
This is more energy than any chemical explosive can provide. TNT gives 4.2 * 10^6 J/Kg

Which one are you looking at?

"Oh, I'm going to blow it up; it obstructs my view of Venus." - Marvin the Martian

Dr Lots-o'watts said:
Which one are you looking at?

"Oh, I'm going to blow it up; it obstructs my view of Venus." - Marvin the Martian

Oh, crap, but I miss that little bastard!

Willem, I agree with you in the way that you expressed it. I was referring more toward rendering a planet unfit for life as we know it, rather than utterly eliminating any history of it from the universe. I have learned, through bitter experience, to set my sights low.

Someone beat me to it. If you want to blow up the Earth you want to use a small stick of Illudium PU-36 Explosive Space Modulator.
PS That is my favourite bugs bunny cartoon EVAR.

EDIT: It's also why the Core is such an annoying film (not counting the awful plot and acting). Let's get a nuke to restart to core spinning... pffft.

xxChrisxx said:
Someone beat me to it. If you want to blow up the Earth you want to use a small stick of Illudium PU-36 Explosive Space Modulator.

That so pissed me off when I was a kid. I ordered one from an ad in the back of a comic book, and all that I got was a damned firecracker. I was already playing with 12-gauges and C4, so you can imagine what a disappointment that was.

harp AP 2010 said:

It should be possible to "blow up" a planet with our current technology. The more difficult question is whether or not we have the necessary supply of that tech to blow a planet up. I personally would not like to experiment this on any neighboring planets though.

hidlAP2010 said:
I personally would not like to experiment this on any neighboring planets though.
Well you aren't going to get to be emperor with that kind of defeatist attitude

why would you want to, it just seems a little dangerous...and I think that even if we tried we couldn't

I don't want to, I was just curious of what we can do and the response I would get. Yes it is dangerous, that's why warning labels are on all over explosives. From the results it would seem we cannot blow up a planet.

harp AP 2010 said:
I don't want to, I was just curious of what we can do and the response I would get. Yes it is dangerous, that's why warning labels are on all over explosives. From the results it would seem we cannot blow up a planet.

Are there really warning labels on explosives? What do they say?

"Do not dispose of in fireplace." :bugeye:

Related to Could we blow up a planet with our current technology?

1. Can we actually blow up a planet with our current technology?

No, it is not currently possible for us to blow up a planet with our current technology. The amount of energy required to destroy a planet is far beyond what we are capable of producing.

2. What would be needed to blow up a planet?

To blow up a planet, we would need an extremely powerful energy source, such as a supernova explosion, or a weapon that could harness the energy of a star. We would also need precise targeting and delivery systems, as well as advanced knowledge of planetary structures and compositions.

3. Could a nuclear bomb destroy a planet?

No, a nuclear bomb does not have enough energy to destroy a planet. The energy released from a nuclear bomb is only a fraction of what would be needed to cause planet-wide destruction.

4. Are there any potential risks or consequences of attempting to blow up a planet?

Yes, attempting to blow up a planet could have catastrophic consequences, not only for the planet itself but for the entire solar system. It could potentially alter the orbits of other planets and cause chaos in the delicate balance of the solar system.

5. Is it ethical to even consider blowing up a planet?

This is a highly debated and complex ethical question. Some argue that the destruction of a planet, even if it is not inhabited, goes against the principles of environmental preservation and respect for other celestial bodies. Others argue that it is a natural extension of human curiosity and exploration. Ultimately, the potential ethical implications of blowing up a planet would need to be carefully considered before any action is taken.