Could Turbine Exhaust Temperatures Reach Below Zero Celsius?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the possibility of turbine exhaust temperature being negative Celsius and the calculations done by the OP which yielded a temperature of 176 K. The inlet conditions and exit pressure were also mentioned. There was also a mention of the working fluid being a van der Waals gas rather than an ideal gas. The conversation also included a request for the OP to post their calculations and a reminder to follow the forum rules for the homework section.
albertov123
Could turbine exhaust temperature be negative Celcius?

My calculations yield 176 K. Is that possible?

Inlet conditions are 7.8 MPa and 625 K. Exit pressure is 1 atm. (100 kPa.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Albertov123 said:
Could turbine exhaust temperature be negative Celcius?

My calculations yield 176 K. Is that possible?

Inlet conditions are 7.8 MPa and 625 K. Exit pressure is 1 atm. (100 kPa.)
Instead of making us guess, why don't you post your calculations?

It's a bit complicated.

Last edited:
Is this a steam turbine?

PS: Check out the forum rules for the homework sections.

CWatters said:
Is this a steam turbine?

PS: Check out the forum rules for the homework sections.
CWatters: The OP posted his calculations before this thread was moved to the HW forum, then the calculations disappeared from the thread. As far as I can recall, the working fluid was a van der Waals gas rather than an ideal gas, with certain values given for the constants in the vdW equation of state.

Albertov123,

I think you owe it to SteamKing and CWatters to paste into this thread the results of our private communications on this problem. Now you know why I don't like helping someone in private discussions. Please don't put me in that position again.

Chet

Related to Could Turbine Exhaust Temperatures Reach Below Zero Celsius?

What is turbine exhaust temperature?

Turbine exhaust temperature is the temperature of the exhaust gas that is produced by a turbine engine after it has been used to generate power.

How is turbine exhaust temperature measured?

Turbine exhaust temperature is typically measured using thermocouples, which are temperature sensors placed in the exhaust gas stream.

What factors affect turbine exhaust temperature?

The main factors that affect turbine exhaust temperature are the rate of fuel combustion, the amount of air entering the turbine, and the efficiency of the turbine itself.

Why is turbine exhaust temperature important?

Turbine exhaust temperature is important because it can indicate the performance and efficiency of a turbine engine. It is also used to monitor and control the engine during operation.

What is a normal range for turbine exhaust temperature?

The normal range for turbine exhaust temperature varies depending on the specific engine and its operating conditions. Generally, it can range from 400°C to 1000°C (750°F to 1830°F).