Could someone me identify this component on a PCBA

• Thread starter carlos468
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Component
In summary, these MELF1 surface mount diodes have some heat marks and are a potential risk due to the proximity of the component to the soldering iron.
carlos468
Could someone please help me identify this and how to test it
Capture.PNG

it is inside a soundbar that someone brought to me to look at as sound was only coming out of one side everything else looks ok apart for these or at least one doesn't look good and has some heat marks.
any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    153.3 KB · Views: 990
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
4148 is a diode. Look it up.

Likes davenn, berkeman and carlos468
cool thankyou :)

carlos468 said:
...has some heat marks.
Those marks are soldering marks: the component was replaced at least once. It does not means that it is broken or cooked.

BUT - hand soldering that close to the component is risky. If you replace them leave about a half inch of the lead wires . Hold each wire as you solder it with needle nose plier or a hemostat to keep heat out of the glass package.

upload_2018-1-24_10-2-17.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-24_10-2-17.png
    upload_2018-1-24_10-2-17.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 505
Thankyou for all your replys sort of just got stuck on what i was looking at so after testing them they were fine but it turned out to be a cold solder joint only ever see one in a tv that i fixed but now seeing this can occur in anything that's i would say on the cheeper side.
But again thankyou sure i will be back to pick your brains :)
and jim hardy i will keep that in mind thankyou.

jim hardy said:
leave about a half inch of the lead wires

Those are MELF1 surface mount diodes. The do not come with leads.

BoB

1Mostly Ends up Lying on Floor

Likes Bystander and jim hardy
rbelli1 said:
Those are MELF surface mount diodes.

Aha ! Good name for them...
I haven't mastered surface mount yet so still use through-hole components. You can tell when I've fixed something , the parts i put in stick up like asparagus sprouts.

A couple months ago i had to fix my microwave oven. The intermittent loss of power got too frequent and Fair Anne lacks the strength to apply the requisite "Whack" .
To my astonishment the power supply board had a 'temporary tattletale' power on indicator i'd soldered in ten years earlier and forgotten - a through hole resistor and LED tacked in amid all those factory MELF parts. Deserving of an Ugly Award. But touching the transformer made the tattletale flicker , which led straight to a broken connection.

old jim

I once knew a technician that could remove and replace a 160 pin quad flat pack SMD device using hand tools. On one occasion we asked him if he thought he could save the device being removed and clean it up so it could be tested in another rig! That was a big ask but he managed it.

160 pin device is quite a lot but I am not surprised. I did a lot of those with a pair of tweezers and a heat gun 25 years ago but probably half that number of pins. Have just enough solder on the pads, lay the part on and reapply the heat. When the solder flows, tap the PC board and the mechanical shock along with the molten solders surface tension will pull the part into place.

CWatters said:
I once knew a technician that could remove and replace a 160 pin quad flat pack SMD device using hand tools.
That is impressive.

I hark from the days of the Zenith "Hand Wired Chassis" .
courtesy http://www.boxcarcabin.com/vintagetvs.htm
ZenithHandwired.jpg

“In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists.”
eric hoffer

Synchronicity ?
Just today, out of pure curiosity i took apart a junked 46 inch Sony flatscreen TV . Well actually i'd heard they have a replaceable lamp inside. This one lit up so i thought it might have a spare lamp for my 40 inch.
Wow! I'm obsolete.
The "Lamp" is an array of twenty-four 39 inch long cold cathode fluorescent tubes.
Oh well the power supply boards might interchange.

old jim

Attachments

• ZenithHandwired.jpg
    ZenithHandwired.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 558
jim hardy said:
factory MELF parts

Actually my expansion for the acronym MELF was a joke. It means Metal Electrode Leadless Face. It's those ones that look like through hole with the leads cut off.

The problem with them is that once the get rolling the tend to obey Newton's first law better than most objects. Either that or they're afraid of the soldering iron.

BoB

Likes jim hardy
rbelli1 said:
Actually my expansion for the acronym MELF was a joke.

I figured it was. But i couldn't top it...

Likes rbelli1

Related to Could someone me identify this component on a PCBA

1. What is a PCBA?

A PCBA (Printed Circuit Board Assembly) is a common term used in the electronics industry to refer to the combination of a printed circuit board (PCB) and electronic components that are soldered onto it. It is the main component of electronic devices such as computers, smartphones, and other electronic devices.

2. What is the purpose of identifying a component on a PCBA?

The identification of components on a PCBA is important for troubleshooting and repairing electronic devices. It allows technicians and engineers to quickly identify and replace faulty components, reducing downtime and improving the overall functionality of the device.

3. How do I identify a component on a PCBA?

There are several ways to identify components on a PCBA. One method is to refer to the bill of materials (BOM) provided by the manufacturer. This document contains a list of all the components used in the PCBA. Another method is to use a multimeter or a circuit tester to test and identify the functionality of each component.

4. What information do I need to provide for someone to identify a component on a PCBA?

In order for someone to identify a component on a PCBA, you will need to provide the following information: the location of the component on the board, any visible markings or labels on the component, and a clear picture of the component if possible.

5. Can anyone identify a component on a PCBA?

While anyone can try to identify a component on a PCBA, it is recommended to consult a trained professional or the manufacturer for accurate identification. This is especially important for complex or specialized components that may require specific knowledge or tools to identify correctly.