Could Resonance Have Caused a Glass to Break in a Cabinet?

• Thread starter Lisa!
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Glass
In summary: I mean, they might be from the same company or something, but when you're dealing with that many glasses, I'm sure there is some variability in them.In summary, the speakers were discussing a strange incident where a glass in a cabinet suddenly shattered into tiny pieces. One person suggested that resonance may have caused it, while others mentioned previous incidents of similar occurrences. They also discussed the possibility of other glasses of the same make breaking due to resonance, as well as a related incident involving a vocalist shattering a glass with their voice.
Lisa!
Gold Member
We'd put this glass into cabinet. 1 day we suddenly heard a loud noise and then find the glass while it was smashed into tiny pieces. Any idea what's happened? I thought resonance caused that! :shy:

Physics news on Phys.org
This is wierd. About 6 months or so ago someone else had the exact same thing happen to them. I can't remember who though. Did you have two glasses stacked one inside the other? Do a search on this topic and take a look at that thread. It may answer some of your questions.

Really? You know there were some other glasses exactly like that in the cabinet, but whe you said couldn't be the reason. I told you it was broken into tiny pieces. I though about all posibilities but none of them could be the reason! And thanks, although I don't know what I should search for(perhaps glass), I'll do a search.:smile:

There was another one too, though, that specifically dealt with a drinking glass. I remember that we got into a discussion about the quality of various types of glassware for restaurants and whatnot.

That's the one that I was thinking of. Thanks Rosie.

was there any more glasses of the same make placed in the cupboard becuase if there was and it broke dude to resonance woulnt other glasses of the samae type break as well if they were near it and it was a powerful enough vibration

this inst really related but i was watching mythbusters and they video taped vocalist shatter a glass only his voice and it wasnt even amplified i thought it was neat because apprently it was the first documented or proven incident of a human being doing this without amplification

Thanks everyone!

blimkie said:
was there any more glasses of the same make placed in the cupboard becuase if there was and it broke dude to resonance woulnt other glasses of the samae type break as well if they were near it and it was a powerful enough vibration

this inst really related but i was watching mythbusters and they video taped vocalist shatter a glass only his voice and it wasnt even amplified i thought it was neat because apprently it was the first documented or proven incident of a human being doing this without amplification
I thought about that too, but I'm not sure if the glasses would be EXACTLY the same.

Related to Could Resonance Have Caused a Glass to Break in a Cabinet?

1. Why does a glass sometimes break suddenly?

There are a few reasons why a glass may break suddenly. One common reason is that the glass has a small chip or crack that is not visible, and the stress of normal use causes it to break. Another reason could be that the glass was exposed to extreme temperature changes, causing it to expand and contract quickly and resulting in a break.

2. Can a glass break spontaneously without any external force?

Yes, it is possible for a glass to break spontaneously without any external force. This is known as a stress fracture, where the glass has been weakened by small chips or cracks and breaks on its own due to internal stresses.

3. What type of glass is most likely to break suddenly?

Glass that is not tempered or reinforced is more likely to break suddenly than tempered or reinforced glass. This is because tempered or reinforced glass is designed to be more durable and withstand greater external forces.

4. Is there a way to prevent a glass from breaking suddenly?

While there is no surefire way to prevent a glass from breaking suddenly, there are some precautions you can take to reduce the risk. These include avoiding extreme temperature changes, being gentle when handling glassware, and inspecting for any chips or cracks before use.

5. Can a glass breaking suddenly be dangerous?

Yes, a glass breaking suddenly can be dangerous. It can result in sharp shards of glass that can cause cuts or injuries. It is important to clean up broken glass carefully and to dispose of it properly to prevent any accidents or injuries.