Why did my glass bottle explode?

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment where litchis were placed in a bottle with water to observe decomposition. After five days, there was pressure building up in the bottle, causing water to leak out and eventually the bottom of the bottle to break off when lifted. The participants question the cause of this and the expert suggests that the bottle was likely already cracked at the bottom.
Watari
Five days ago, I filled a glass 2L bottle about halfway with litchis, then filled the bottle with water till the end and sealed it with its cap. I was curious to see how it decomposes in there. This morning, about 1/7th of the water was lying in a puddle around the bottle. I could see gas escaping from the litchis as a result of the decomposing redox reaction (correct me if I'm wrong). Even though I turned the cap as tightly as I could, it seems that there was enough pressure building up and enough of an opening between the cap and the bottle for quite an amount of water to escape. I then lifted the bottle up and all of a sudden the bottom of the bottle simply breaks off the bottle, resulting in all the water and litchis falling down on my carpet.

This means there was quite some pressure that was building up in the bottle. I suspect that the gas was building up in the top of the bottle and was pushing the water down, and as soon as I lifted the bottle, it simply pushed the bottom to break. But what I find strange is that water was able to leak out despite the lid, so I would expect that the gas, which is much less dense than the water, to also leak out. Instead it was able to build up to such a level that it broke the bottle.

Could someone explain to me what happened here?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's more likely that the bottle cracked and leaked at the bottom. When you picked it up, it completely separated.

Likes billy_joule

Related to Why did my glass bottle explode?

What causes glass bottles to explode?

Glass bottles can explode due to a variety of reasons, including temperature changes, manufacturing defects, and chemical reactions. When a glass bottle is heated or cooled rapidly, it can create uneven stress on the glass and cause it to shatter. Manufacturing defects, such as small air bubbles or impurities in the glass, can weaken the bottle and make it more likely to explode. Chemical reactions can also occur between the contents of the bottle and the glass itself, causing pressure to build up and eventually lead to an explosion.

Can a glass bottle explode on its own?

While it is rare, a glass bottle can potentially explode on its own due to internal defects or stresses in the glass. However, it is more common for external factors, such as temperature changes or physical impact, to cause a glass bottle to explode.

How can I prevent a glass bottle from exploding?

To prevent a glass bottle from exploding, it is important to handle it carefully and avoid sudden temperature changes. When storing or transporting glass bottles, be sure to keep them in a cool, stable environment. If you need to cool or heat a glass bottle, do so gradually. Additionally, always check the bottle for any visible defects before use.

Is it safe to drink from a glass bottle that has exploded?

No, it is not safe to drink from a glass bottle that has exploded. The explosion could have caused small shards of glass to contaminate the contents of the bottle, making it unsafe to consume. It is best to dispose of the bottle and its contents properly.

What should I do if a glass bottle explodes?

If a glass bottle explodes, it is important to clean up the broken glass carefully to avoid injury. Wear gloves and use a broom or vacuum to clean up any large pieces of glass. If there is any spilled liquid, clean it up with a paper towel or cloth. Be sure to dispose of the broken glass and liquid properly.