Costs/Benefits of doing a PhD in another country (as an American citizen)

• Programs
  • Thread starter Elwin.Martin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd
In summary, Elwin is considering doing a PhD in another country as an American (United States) citizen and is looking for advice on what to do. He is considering doing a PhD in France or Germany but is unsure if he will want to work in America or in Europe after his PhD. He would prefer a culturally dense location.
Elwin.Martin
I know this may have some wiggle room in terms of personal opinions and anecdotal evidence for one thing or another, but I was wondering what people here thought about doing a PhD in another country as an American (United States) citizen.

I have been trained in a decent American public university for my physics undergraduate and I'd like to consider getting a PhD at a university in Europe, but one of my advisers recommended against doing so saying that "there's a reason people flock to American schools for grad school."

Honestly, I think he may have a myopic view of the situation and I'm trying to diversify my feedback. It's my understanding that there are some phenomenal schools across the world and I am fairly certain that the top places to research a given field are not all in one country. I am not 100% committed yet, but I am strongly considering BSM phenomenology.

I do *not* know if I will want to work in America after my PhD or in Europe, but where ever it is I would prefer a culturally dense location (it doesn't have to be the *biggest city, but I would like a serious symphony orchestra in the area, etc). It was sort of implied that it might hurt me getting a degree in Europe and returning to America to look for work, does anyone have experience in hiring and know this to be the case or have any other relevant experience with this?

Also, assuming it is viable to go to another country to study...how should I investigate the university systems I am less familiar with? I have heard of the Ecole system in France...but I think I need to speak French. Similarly, I am very interested in a handful of major German universities...but I do not (yet) speak fluent German.

Any and all advice / experiences you have to share would be awesome!
Elwin
[edited for a blatant grammatical fail...more may be present, sorry if they are!]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Speaking as a European citizen "flocking to the US for grad school"...

PhD's work very differently in the old continent. A very large portion of schools require you to have a masters (which are for the most part paid out of pocket in the EU) before even considering you for a PhD, and thesis topics are generally predefined, so when you start your phd you know exactly what you'll be working on. Because of this, they don't normally last more than 3 years. On the bright side I think the stipends will allow you to have a higher standard of living than at most US schools that pay around $15-20k/year, especially in Scandinavian countries(at least 36000€ is what I've heard).

Lavabug said:
Speaking as a European citizen "flocking to the US for grad school"...

PhD's work very differently in the old continent. A very large portion of schools require you to have a masters (which are for the most part paid out of pocket in the EU) before even considering you for a PhD, and thesis topics are generally predefined, so when you start your phd you know exactly what you'll be working on. Because of this, they don't normally last more than 3 years. On the bright side I think the stipends will allow you to have a higher standard of living than at most US schools that pay around $15-20k/year, especially in Scandinavian countries(at least 36000€ is what I've heard).

Thank you for your response, I don't have a ton of resources to draw from so any information is appreciated. I would absolutely love to try living in Scandinavia if I could, I'd definitely need a few trial weeks in the winter to make sure I could handle it, though.

Let me know if there's anything else that comes to mind that you think I should be aware of.

Related to Costs/Benefits of doing a PhD in another country (as an American citizen)

1. What are the potential financial costs of pursuing a PhD in another country as an American citizen?

The financial costs of doing a PhD in another country as an American citizen can vary greatly depending on the country and university you choose. Some countries, particularly in Europe, offer free or significantly lower tuition fees for international students. However, you will still need to cover living expenses such as housing, food, and transportation. It is important to research the cost of living in the country you are considering and budget accordingly.

2. Are there any potential benefits to pursuing a PhD in another country as an American citizen?

Yes, there are several potential benefits to pursuing a PhD in another country as an American citizen. These can include exposure to different research methodologies, cultures, and perspectives, which can enrich your academic experience and make you a more well-rounded researcher. Additionally, completing a PhD in another country can demonstrate your adaptability and global mindset, which can be attractive to potential employers.

3. Will pursuing a PhD in another country affect my career prospects in the United States?

Pursuing a PhD in another country should not negatively affect your career prospects in the United States. In fact, it may even enhance your resume by showcasing your international experience and research abilities. However, it is important to consider the specific field and job market you are interested in, as some industries or positions may have different requirements or preferences regarding where you obtained your PhD.

4. Are there any potential challenges to pursuing a PhD in another country as an American citizen?

Some potential challenges to pursuing a PhD in another country as an American citizen may include adapting to a new culture and language, navigating a different academic system, and being away from family and friends for an extended period of time. It is important to thoroughly research and consider these potential challenges before making a decision.

5. Are there any specific resources or support for American citizens pursuing a PhD in another country?

Yes, there are several resources and support available for American citizens pursuing a PhD in another country. These can include university international student offices, cultural exchange programs, and government-funded scholarships or grants. It is recommended to reach out to these resources for assistance and guidance throughout the process.