Cosmology&particles astrophysics textbook

In summary, the conversation discusses the request for recommendations on textbooks about cosmology that cover both general relativity and particle astrophysics topics. The individual mentions their preference for a textbook with detailed calculations and asks if there are any that also cover modern conceptions like brane cosmology. They also mention their familiarity with general relativity and quantum field theory and their dissatisfaction with some recommended textbooks. Weinberg's book is suggested as a good resource, but the individual questions if it is suitable for their purpose of filling in gaps in their knowledge. Another individual suggests the textbook by Kolb and Turner, mentioning its potential for being updated with new developments in cosmology.
lefebvre
Could you recommend me some good textbooks on cosmology, please? I'm looking for something that covers both general relativity topics and, which is more important for me, particles astrophysics stuff. I like the structure of Bergström&Goobar's book but it's a little bit sketchy. Something with more detailed calculations would be nice. Maybe there are any book that mentions also more modern conceptions like brane cosmology?
I know general relativity (at the level of undergraduate course) and quantum field theory (at the advanced level, I think).

Sorry for duplicating but most of the books usually recommended are too hand-waving for me and don't suit my preferences. Dodelson is quite OK but it's good to have more than one reference :) You would probably recommend Weinberg but is his cosmology book more student-friendly than the QFT one (which is very deep but terrible to read)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, Weinberg's book is great, as all of his books, particularly the QFT books. What do you mean by student-friendly? As a life-long student I consider these books as some of the "friendliest" books ever, because they explain everything very clearly and give convincing arguments where other books just provide some hand-waving. Of course, Weinberg's books are not meant as introductory texts but to deepen you understanding on the advanced graduate-student level. I'm not an expert in cosmology, but I think Weinberg's book shows the same throughness in treatment of the subject as his QFT books (and also his newest one on non-relativsitic quantum mechanics).

It's a matter of taste :) I'm not planning to work on cosmology (at least not in the near future). I want to fill in the gaps in my knowledge about cosmology and systematize what I gained through GR and QFT courses. I'm not sure if Weinberg's textbooks are appropriate for this purpose.

I know that his understanding of physics is unbelieveable and he can interpret some things as only a few people on the world. But I think trying to be very original and make a textbook too authorial sometimes does more harm than good (although sometimes it can open one's mind). It's only my opinion. I like to start learning from standard textbook and then expand my knowledge and understanding at a pinch.

Last edited:
The dilemma with cosmology textbooks is that they are outdated so soon, given the tremendous progress cosmology makes these days. That said, I guess the textbook by Kolb and Turner is what you are looking for (maybe there are updated newer editions). Of course, the fundamentals are still right, and you can read about the newest developments in the original literature, if you like (arXiv is your friend!).

Thanks, I'll check Kolb and Turner.

Related to Cosmology&particles astrophysics textbook

1. What is cosmology?

Cosmology is the scientific study of the origin, evolution, and structure of the universe. It seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the universe, as well as the processes that have shaped it over billions of years.

2. What is particles astrophysics?

Particles astrophysics is a branch of astrophysics that focuses on studying the behavior and properties of particles such as protons, neutrons, and electrons in the universe. It explores how these particles interact with each other and with the forces of the universe, and how they contribute to the formation and evolution of cosmic structures.

3. What topics are typically covered in a cosmology and particles astrophysics textbook?

A cosmology and particles astrophysics textbook typically covers topics such as the Big Bang theory, the structure and composition of the universe, dark matter and dark energy, the formation and evolution of galaxies and other cosmic structures, and the role of particles in the universe.

4. What are some applications of cosmology and particles astrophysics?

Cosmology and particles astrophysics have many practical applications, including understanding the origins of the universe, predicting the behavior of cosmic phenomena such as black holes and supernovae, and developing new technologies for space exploration and communication.

5. Is a background in physics necessary to understand cosmology and particles astrophysics?

While a background in physics can be helpful in understanding cosmology and particles astrophysics, it is not necessary. Many textbooks on these subjects are written for a general audience and do not require advanced knowledge of physics. However, a basic understanding of scientific principles and mathematical concepts is recommended for a deeper understanding of these fields.