Cosmology History: Timeline, Discoveries & Current Theories

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of cosmology history and current theories being explored. The participants share resources such as searching "cosmology history" on Google and recommending the book "Big Bang" by Simon Singh, which covers the history and development of cosmology theories. They also mention the author's other work on cryptography.
narrator
Hi all,

Is there a timeline somewhere which shows a history of theories, breakthroughs, discoveries, especially with regard to cosmology. And is there a summary of the types of work being done in this area currently? It's probably a big question, but I'm keen to understand how some of the thinking came about and where current theories are at.

Space news on Phys.org
Try "cosmology history" on Google. You will get many references.

mathman said:
Try "cosmology history" on Google. You will get many references.

To that end, I found <crackpot link removed>. I found it very interesting, especially reading some of the different models that were proposed. I particularly liked Tycho's model and Olbers' paradox as examples of thinking outside the square, despite them being incorrect.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my favorite books on this subject is "Big Bang" by Simon Singh. It covers the earliest views of the heavens to the discovery of properties about our solar system, from measurement to tje nearest stars to discovery of other galaxies, and finally into the origins of the Big Bang and it's competing theories all the way to the most recent discoveries that support it. It also tells fascinating stories about the people behind all the discoveries. It is definitely one of my favorite scientific books of all time. And yes, it goes into length about Tycho Brahe, Olber's Paradox, Galileo, Copernicus, Hubble, and more. Let me know if you like it!

mjacobsca said:
One of my favorite books on this subject is "Big Bang" by Simon Singh.

Looked up his http://www.simonsingh.net/". Fascinating array of writing. Also writes about another interest of mine, cryptography. I look forward to reading his Big Bang. Thanks mj.

Last edited by a moderator:
No problem! I hope you enjoy it!

I just checked out "The Code Book" from the library. So far it is fascinating reading! He is a really good writer and recounter of history.

Related to Cosmology History: Timeline, Discoveries & Current Theories

1. What is cosmology and why is it important?

Cosmology is the study of the origin, evolution, and structure of the universe. It is important because it helps us understand our place in the universe and the fundamental laws that govern its behavior.

2. What is the timeline of cosmology history?

The study of cosmology dates back to ancient civilizations, but modern cosmology began in the early 20th century with the development of Einstein's theory of general relativity. Major milestones include the discovery of the expanding universe in the 1920s, the Big Bang theory in the 1940s, and the discovery of cosmic microwave background radiation in the 1960s.

3. What are some major discoveries in cosmology?

Some major discoveries in cosmology include the expansion of the universe, the existence of dark matter and dark energy, the confirmation of the Big Bang theory, and the discovery of gravitational waves. These discoveries have greatly advanced our understanding of the universe and continue to shape our current theories.

4. What are the current theories in cosmology?

The current theories in cosmology include the Big Bang theory, which states that the universe began as a singularity and has been expanding ever since, and the inflationary theory, which explains the rapid expansion of the universe in its early stages. Other theories include the multiverse theory, which suggests the existence of multiple parallel universes, and the steady state theory, which proposes that the universe has always existed in a steady state.

5. What are some ongoing research and developments in cosmology?

Some ongoing research and developments in cosmology include studying the nature of dark matter and dark energy, exploring the possibility of a multiverse, and searching for evidence of primordial gravitational waves. Scientists are also working to refine and improve our current theories and models in order to better understand the universe and its origins.