Cosmological expansion vs. stretching

In summary: The red shift is not uniform. And there are whole superclusters of galaxies that appear to be aggregating rather than moving apart. How do we know that this is due to a local effect... and not something deeper going on?

Neuroglider said:
Oh, I dunno. Maybe it has something to do with two different responders assuming I was talking about collapse when I never used that word and described in detail a scenario quite different from collapse. Or the several folks who kept telling me that the red shift is uniform when it is clearly not; generally uniform, perhaps, but not absolutely.

This is a forum, not a textbook. If I tell you the redshift is uniform, I could very well mean that it is generally uniform, not absolutely. Or that once you take into account the variations in redshift from local motions it is absolute. In either case, I expect the difficulty is that you expect too much. No one here is getting paid to teach you, so don't expect 100% accurate unambiguous answers.

How about this. If you want to learn about cosmology then learn about it by asking questions, not by suggesting absurd models and then expecting us to find the glaring errors while you argue the entire time. I'm 90% certain this thread is a violation of PF rules on speculation and personal theories, so I'm done with it.

Space news on Phys.org

Thread closed for Moderation...