Cosets in Rings: Sets {a*R} & {a+R}

In summary: What about the coset (x,y) of (x,y) inside 2Z? x+R=R will work all the time with x in R wouldn't it? Without any limitations on x?If x is not a zero divisor and is not a unit then xR=R if R does not contain the multiplicative identity, 1?No, clearly this is false. (Incidentally, if R doesn't have a 1 then it can't have units). If you just remembered that the integers are a ring you'd have a lot more insight into the general situation; what is 2Z? It is ring without 1, call it R. What about the ideal 4Z inside 2
pivoxa15
Does cosets exist in rings?

i.e R = Ring, a in R

set {a*R}

or

set {a+R}

The above two sets looks very similar to cosets in groups but there are two operations in rings so potentially two different cosets both involving the same ring R and element a. If the above two sets are not cosets than what are they called?

Physics news on Phys.org
The former is the right ideal generated by R, the latter is the right coset of a in R (and since addition is commutative, the left coset).

I is a right ideal if Ix is in x for all x in R. Clearly aR is a right ideal. Similarly Ra is a left ideal, and RaR is an ideal (that is a two sided ideal).

In this case aR is also a left ideal? Because x(aR) with x and a in R means xa is in R. (xa)R is a subset of R.

Similarly Ra is also a right ideal.

No, because (xa)R is not necessarily a subset of aR.

Good point. In fact x(Ra)=Ra, for x and a in R which is the ring.

Also, a + R is a rather boring coset, since a + R = R. a + I is more interesting, for ideals I.

pivoxa15 said:
Good point. In fact x(Ra)=Ra, for x and a in R which is the ring.

No. x(Ra) is a subset of Ra. It is most definitely not equal to it in general (x=0, for instance).

Hurkyl said:
Also, a + R is a rather boring coset, since a + R = R. a + I is more interesting, for ideals I.

Doh. Can't believe I missed this. Elements don't have cosets, sugroups/ideals, have cosets

Ra gives R. xR gives R again. so x(Ra)=xR=R=Ra. In this way x(Ra)=Ra. I agree that it is quite boring but at least it's correct? You think not Matt? R is the ring and a and x are elements in R. All elements in R are closed under multiplication.

Last edited:
Closure under multiplication means xR is a subset of R. To get the other inclusion, you need the existence of inverses. Thus x+R=R, or xR=R when x is a unit, but in general this isn't true. If the example x=0 isn't enough to convince yourself that xR is not always R, you need to go back to the definitions.

StatusX said:
Closure under multiplication means xR is a subset of R. To get the other inclusion, you need the existence of inverses. Thus x+R=R, or xR=R when x is a unit, but in general this isn't true. If the example x=0 isn't enough to convince yourself that xR is not always R, you need to go back to the definitions.

I should have said x must be non zero.

If x is a unit then x cannot be a zero divisor. This latter point is the important thing because if x was a zero divisor than some non zero entities in R may not be produced from xR. If x is not a zero divisor and is not a unit than xR=R if R does not contain the multiplicative identity, 1?

x+R=R will work all the time with x in R wouldn't it? Without any limitations on x?

Last edited:
pivoxa15 said:
I should have said x must be non zero.

zero or not zero, I don't see what this has to do with anything. Rx is still an ideal

If x is not a zero divisor and is not a unit than xR=R if R does not contain the multiplicative identity, 1?

No, clearly this is false. (Incidentally, if R doesn't have a 1 then it can't have units). If you just remembered that the integers are a ring you'd have a lot more insight into the general situation; what is 2Z? It is ring without 1, call it R. What about the ideal 4Z inside 2Z, it is the ideal 2R.

Related to Cosets in Rings: Sets {a*R} & {a+R}

1. What are cosets in rings?

Cosets in rings are subsets of a ring that are formed by multiplying a single element, called a representative, by all the elements in a given set. In other words, a coset is a set of elements that are obtained by multiplying a fixed element of the ring by all the elements in a given subset of the ring.

2. How are cosets represented in mathematical notation?

Cosets in rings are typically represented as {a*R} or {a+R}, where "a" is the representative element and "R" is the given subset of the ring. The "a*R" notation represents left cosets, while "a+R" notation represents right cosets.

3. What is the significance of cosets in rings?

Cosets in rings play an important role in understanding the structure of a ring. They help to identify the distinct subrings within a larger ring and provide insight into the properties and operations of the ring.

4. How are cosets related to the concept of equivalence classes?

Cosets can be thought of as a special type of equivalence class, where elements are considered equivalent if their difference lies in the given subset of the ring. This means that all elements in a coset share certain properties and can be manipulated in the same way.

5. Can cosets be used to simplify calculations in rings?

Yes, the use of cosets can greatly simplify calculations in rings. This is because cosets allow us to group together similar elements and perform operations on them as a single entity, rather than individually. This can be especially useful when dealing with large or complex rings.