Cork flying into air, only acceleration and total time

In summary, Bindi pops the cork off a bottle of champagne and notices that it takes 4 seconds for the cork to return to its starting position. The question is then asked how long the cork takes to reach maximum height. The attempted solution includes drawing a picture and considering the time for upward and downward travel, as well as the launch velocity and displacement. However, it is mentioned that none of these calculations are necessary to solve the problem, as the symmetry of the problem suggests that the time for each phase is likely to be equal.
eric_cravin

Homework Statement

Bindi pops the cork off a bottle of champagne. The cork travels vertically into the air. She notices that the cork takes 4s to return to starting position.
a) how long does cork take to reach maximum height?

Homework Equations

I know that a= -9.81m/s/s, and the final velocity would be is 0m/s, but I'm not sure how to work out solution or equation to find solution.

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a picture but I still have no clue.

Physics news on Phys.org
I was wondering if

Bindi has a stopwatch.
does 4 seconds include the upwards and downwards traveling of the cork?

or does 4 seconds only include downward falling from apex to ground?

eric_cravin said:
and the final velocity would be is 0m/s,
That's not right. The cork Is falling and so had some velocity.

late347 said:
I was wondering if

Bindi has a stopwatch.
does 4 seconds include the upwards and downwards traveling of the cork?

or does 4 seconds only include downward falling from apex to ground?
I'd say it's the former.
Also note that the starting position isn't the ground (unless the bottle is subterranean..).
Throw your pen up a few times, does the upward part of the flight take more, less or equal time as the downward part? What SUVAT equation can you use to find out for sure? You know total displacement is zero when the pen (or cork) returns to the starting position.

Likes CWatters
cork has some launch velocity $$v_0= ~~something ~~positive$$

cork displaces zero meters.

What goes up comes down. Cork displaces zero. First the cork goes up distance x. Then the cork returns distance x to earth.

We are assuming level floor and no air resistance. Launch angle will be 90deg from the horizontal floor. Time taken for this roundabout journey in the sky equals 4 seconds overrall time. It took me some time to realize this factoid but it seems to be legitimate interpretation.

real champagne bottle corks probably don't stay in the air for 4 seconds total time.

launch velocity of the cork can be calculated from

$$displacement~~=v_o*t~~+0.5*a*t^2$$

time for deceleratoin can be calculated from

##v_1= v_0+at##

where v1= 0 m/s
a= -9.81
v0 = ?

You don't need any of that to solve this problem. Try thinking about the symmetry of the problem. The acceleration has same magnitude on the way up and down. The displacement is the same. The final velocity on the way up is the initial velocity on the way down. The initial velocity on the way up is the same as the final velocity on the way down. With all this symmetry what do you think the time for each phase is likely to be?

Likes billy_joule

Related to Cork flying into air, only acceleration and total time

1. How does the acceleration affect the cork's flight?

The acceleration affects the cork's flight by determining how fast it will move and in which direction. If the acceleration is greater, the cork will move faster and cover more distance in the same amount of time.

2. What factors can affect the cork's acceleration?

The cork's acceleration can be affected by several factors, such as the force applied, the weight and shape of the cork, and any external forces acting upon it (such as air resistance).

3. What is the relationship between acceleration and time for the cork's flight?

The relationship between acceleration and time for the cork's flight is directly proportional. This means that as the acceleration increases, the time it takes for the cork to travel a certain distance will decrease and vice versa.

4. Can the total time for the cork's flight be calculated with just the acceleration?

No, the total time for the cork's flight cannot be calculated with just the acceleration. Other factors, such as the initial velocity and the distance traveled, are also needed to calculate the total time.

5. How can we measure the acceleration and total time for the cork's flight?

The acceleration and total time for the cork's flight can be measured using various tools, such as a stopwatch, a ruler or measuring tape to measure distance, and a scale to measure the weight of the cork. Additionally, using a video camera and analyzing the footage frame by frame can also provide accurate measurements.