Copying Physicsforums Website

• Thread starter rodsika
  • Start date
In summary, I think it's ok to copy the website for offline viewing and archive. People have tried it and it seems to work. I used Teleport Pro to try to do it and it didn't work. Greg Bernhardt owns the website and he can tell you more about using it.
rodsika
Hi, is it allowable to copy the entire Physicsforums website for offline viewing and archive? Has anyone tried it? What software did you use?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you really sure that you want eight (maybe more) years of old postings? :eek:

jtbell said:
Are you really sure that you want eight (maybe more) years of old postings? :eek:

Why not. I don't even know how to do calculus or other basics like Newtonian physics so the many questions and answers can help immensely. Besides. We haven't got major breakthrough since the 1980s (according to Lee Smolin in Trouble With Physics) and if String Theory is wrong. We may face a blank wall for the next 50 years. So old postings here is as good as new. I tried Teleport Pro. It can't download the site pass a few dozen files. How many gigabyte is the site and what's the correct software to use? Anyone actually tried it?

Also for backup purposes. What if virus wipes the site. Anyway, is this site being back
up or not?

That's a ... horribly inefficient method to keep some form of knowledge to be honest.

If you want to use the site to learn calculus, it won't help you do well just off of past postings.

For calculus help:

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcI/CalcI.aspx

Much better than trying to save this entire forum, trust me. I've never met Paul nor do I really know him but I worship him for putting this online. :smile:

I think this site should get you thru most of university Calculus no problem.

I suggest learning it out of a textbook, then as questions come up, ask them here in new threads.

No not just calculus, everything. Just tell me if one can copy the entire site?

Calculus is just example. I am just curious about modern theoretical physics. How many gigabytes is the site. How come I couldn't download it using Teleport Pro?

rodsika said:
No not just calculus, everything. Just tell me if one can copy the entire site?

I don't think it's possible for you personally to get an entire copy of everything on this website... unless you go through and do it yourself.

The site is obviously backed up (I assume) but I highly doubt you'll get a copy.

Hmm scratch that try this:
http://www.popdrops.com/websitepuller/

I don't think that teleport pro will work with the forum scripts.

zomgwtf said:
Hmm scratch that try this:
http://www.popdrops.com/websitepuller/

I don't think that teleport pro will work with the forum scripts.

Websitepuller doesn't work either. It got stuck after a few files. Anyone knows how to use one with message threads?

This site is not backup. I read a PF Mentor has deleted an important thread. He couldn't recover the information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advanced Search: Keyword: *
Then Edit: Select Entire Page.
Copy to Notepad.

rodsika said:
Just tell me if one can copy the entire site?

Ask Greg Bernhardt via PM. He owns this site.

rodsika said:
Hi, is it allowable to copy the entire Physicsforums website for offline viewing and archive? Has anyone tried it? What software did you use?

Definitely not ok, sorry. We block many common website rippers.

Related to Copying Physicsforums Website

1. How can I copy content from Physicsforums website?

Copying content from Physicsforums website is not allowed without prior permission from the website owners. This includes text, images, and any other media. Any unauthorized copying of content is a violation of copyright laws.

2. Can I use information from Physicsforums website for my research or project?

Yes, you can use information from Physicsforums website for your research or project as long as you properly cite the source and give credit to the original author. Plagiarism is not tolerated and may result in legal consequences.

3. Is it possible to copy discussions or threads from Physicsforums website?

No, copying discussions or threads from Physicsforums website is not allowed. These discussions and threads are the intellectual property of the website and its users. Any unauthorized copying may result in legal action.

4. Can I share content from Physicsforums website on social media?

Yes, you can share content from Physicsforums website on social media as long as you provide proper attribution and do not modify the content in any way. However, it is always best to check the website's terms of use and guidelines before sharing.

5. What can happen if I copy content from Physicsforums website without permission?

If you copy content from Physicsforums website without permission, you may face legal consequences such as copyright infringement charges. It is important to respect the intellectual property rights of others and obtain permission before using their content.