Copying Files from Mac OS Desktop to Password Protected Cluster

In summary, to copy files from your Mac OS Desktop to a folder in another computer cluster, you can use the scp command. However, if you plan on regularly transferring files, rsync may be a better option. Additionally, you can also use sshfs for this purpose.
hoffmann
how exactly would i go about writing a UNIX script that copies files from my Mac OS Desktop to a folder in another computer cluster? i'd need to scp the files from my desktop to the folder, but the cluster is password protected. any help?

Technology news on Phys.org
If you're looking to transfer files one time only, scp is your best bet. If you're regularly going to transfer files in this way (for instance, you may want to back up your work to another computer over the network, or perhaps you want to copy from your Mac to a server so that the work is available to other users) then I'd use rsync.

Related to Copying Files from Mac OS Desktop to Password Protected Cluster

What is a password protected cluster?

A password protected cluster is a secure network of computers that requires a password to access, typically used for storing and processing sensitive data.

How do I access a password protected cluster?

To access a password protected cluster, you will need to obtain the login credentials from the cluster administrator. This typically includes a username and password.

Can I copy files from my Mac OS desktop to a password protected cluster?

Yes, you can copy files from your Mac OS desktop to a password protected cluster as long as you have the appropriate permissions and access to the cluster.

What is the best way to copy files from my Mac OS desktop to a password protected cluster?

The best way to copy files from your Mac OS desktop to a password protected cluster is to use a secure file transfer protocol (SFTP) such as FileZilla or Cyberduck. These programs allow you to transfer files securely between your computer and the cluster.

Are there any special precautions I should take when copying files to a password protected cluster?

Yes, it is important to make sure that the files you are transferring do not contain any sensitive information and are properly encrypted. Also, make sure to use a strong and unique password for accessing the cluster to ensure the security of your data.