Cool Skyscrapers Puzzle - Cut-the-Knot

In summary, the conversation is about a website called Cut-the-Knot which features a game called Skyscrapers. The game involves creating a 9x9 Latin square with 3x3 subsquares, where only certain numbers of skyscrapers are visible in each row and column of each subsquare. The conversation also mentions a strategy of making the numbers on the edge either 1 or n for an nxn square, and how the sum of numbers on the end of a row or column can make it easier to figure out where a certain number goes. The conversation ends with someone successfully solving an 8x8 square after guessing twice.
fourier jr
http://www.cut-the-knot.org/Curriculum/Games/Skyscrapers.shtml

I wonder of they could make it more like sudoku where there's a 9x9 latin square made out of 3x3 subsquares where only certain numbers of skyscrapers are visible in each rown & column of each subsquare. & beware the creepy eyes watching your every move. Anyway I've found that it's easier when the numbers on the edge are either 1 or n for an nxn, which means there's only one possibility.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nice one.

I think I've also found that if the sum of the numbers on either end of a row or column is n+1 then it's easy to figure out where n goes in that row/column. It takes some practice. I'm still trying to get through the 7x7 square

Last edited:
woohoo just solved my first 8x8, & I only had to guess twice :biggrin:

This is an interesting idea to incorporate elements of sudoku into a skyscraper puzzle. It could add another layer of challenge and complexity to the game. It would also be important to consider how the numbers on the edges would affect the visibility of the skyscrapers in each row and column, as well as how the "creepy eyes" would fit into the puzzle. Overall, this could be a fun and unique twist on the traditional skyscraper puzzle.

Related to Cool Skyscrapers Puzzle - Cut-the-Knot

1. How does the "Cool Skyscrapers Puzzle - Cut-the-Knot" work?

The "Cool Skyscrapers Puzzle - Cut-the-Knot" is a logic puzzle that involves arranging skyscraper pieces on a grid according to given clues. The goal is to create a skyline with no repeated heights and with all the visible skyscrapers of different heights.

2. What is the purpose of the "Cool Skyscrapers Puzzle - Cut-the-Knot"?

The purpose of the "Cool Skyscrapers Puzzle - Cut-the-Knot" is to challenge and improve logical thinking, problem-solving skills, and spatial reasoning abilities. It also promotes creativity and patience.

3. Are there different levels of difficulty for the "Cool Skyscrapers Puzzle - Cut-the-Knot"?

Yes, the "Cool Skyscrapers Puzzle - Cut-the-Knot" comes in various levels of difficulty, from beginner to advanced. The higher the level, the more challenging the puzzle will be, with more clues and a larger grid to solve.

4. Is there a specific strategy or technique to solve the "Cool Skyscrapers Puzzle - Cut-the-Knot"?

There is no one specific strategy to solve the "Cool Skyscrapers Puzzle - Cut-the-Knot," as it requires a combination of logical deduction and trial and error. However, some tips include starting with the tallest or shortest skyscrapers, using the given clues to eliminate options, and filling in gaps based on the existing skyline.

5. Can the "Cool Skyscrapers Puzzle - Cut-the-Knot" be solved without guessing?

Yes, the "Cool Skyscrapers Puzzle - Cut-the-Knot" can be solved without guessing if you use logical reasoning and eliminate possibilities based on the given clues. However, in more challenging levels, some trial and error may be necessary to find the correct solution.