Convolution of continuous case

For this reason, you need to integrate from 0 to 3 in order to get the complete density function for X+Y.In summary, the probability density function of X+Y can be found by integrating fx(a-y)fy(y)dy from 0 to 3, as for any value of a between 0 and 3, the probability of X+Y being equal to that value is given by the integral. The bounds for the integration are chosen based on the ranges of X and Y, which in turn determine the possible values of X+Y.
Gooolati
Hello all,

I am currently working on studying for my P actuary exam and had some questions regarding using convolution for the continuous case of the sum of two independent random variables. I have no problem with the actual integration, but what is troubling me is finding the bounds.

Homework Statement

Consider two independent random variables X and Y. Let fx(x) = 1 - (x/2) for 0<=x<=2 and 0 otherwise. Let fy(y) = 2-2y for 0<=y<=1 and 0 otherwise. Find the probability density function of X+Y.

Homework Equations

for a = x+y

(fx*fy)(a) (the convolution) is the integral from negative infinity to infinity of fx(a-y)fy(y)dy or fy(a-x)fxdx

The Attempt at a Solution

For 0<=a<=1 I integrate using the above formula and get 2a-(3/2)a^2 + (1/6)a^3

I would have thought the bounds to be from 0 to 1 but they are actually from 0 to a. And for the other cases of a (where 1<=a<=2 and 2<=a<=3) I am having trouble finding out where the bounds are. Some insight would greatly be appreciated! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need bounds (apart from +- infinity) at all. It is useful to restrict the integral to the parts where fx and fy are non-zero as this makes it easier to evaluate the integrals, but it is not necessary.

Did you draw a sketch of the x- and y-values for different values of a? This will help.

Hi mfb thanks for the reply. Wouldn't I need the bounds for when I write my final answer as a probability density?

And for the second question, would I sketch x+y=a alongside my fx(x) and fy(y)? So that way as a=x+y has different values I could see how x and y vary? Like I found this website:

http://probabilityexam.wordpress.com/2011/05/26/examples-of-convolution-continuous-case/

and that illustrates it really well but that's the simplest case and I'm not sure if it will work for more complicated probability density's.

Wouldn't I need the bounds for when I write my final answer as a probability density?
The numbers of the bounds will appear in some way, but you don't need them as explicit bounds. The only special thing about those bounds: the functions are zero (but still regular functions) outside.

and that illustrates it really well but that's the simplest case and I'm not sure if it will work for more complicated probability density's.
It will work here. If it does not work any more, you'll have to rely on calculations to get it right.

Gooolati said:
Hello all,

I am currently working on studying for my P actuary exam and had some questions regarding using convolution for the continuous case of the sum of two independent random variables. I have no problem with the actual integration, but what is troubling me is finding the bounds.

Homework Statement

Consider two independent random variables X and Y. Let fx(x) = 1 - (x/2) for 0<=x<=2 and 0 otherwise. Let fy(y) = 2-2y for 0<=y<=1 and 0 otherwise. Find the probability density function of X+Y.

Homework Equations

for a = x+y

(fx*fy)(a) (the convolution) is the integral from negative infinity to infinity of fx(a-y)fy(y)dy or fy(a-x)fxdx

The Attempt at a Solution

For 0<=a<=1 I integrate using the above formula and get 2a-(3/2)a^2 + (1/6)a^3

I would have thought the bounds to be from 0 to 1 but they are actually from 0 to a. And for the other cases of a (where 1<=a<=2 and 2<=a<=3) I am having trouble finding out where the bounds are. Some insight would greatly be appreciated! Thanks!

If X ranges between 0 and 2, and Y ranges from 0 to 1, then X+Y ranges from 0 to 1+2 = 3. Nothing greater than 3 is needed, and nothing less than 3 will work. After all there are nonzero probabilities that X > 1.999 and Y > 0.999, so there is a nonzero probability that the sum is almost 3.

Related to Convolution of continuous case

1. What is the definition of convolution in the continuous case?

The convolution of two continuous functions f and g is a mathematical operation that combines the two functions to produce a third function, often denoted as f * g, that expresses how the shape of one function is modified by the other. It is defined as the integral over all possible values of the variable x of the product of the two functions, where one of the functions is reflected and shifted by a variable amount.

2. How is convolution different from multiplication of two functions?

The convolution of two functions not only multiplies their values at each point, but also shifts and adds them together to produce a new function. In contrast, multiplication of two functions simply multiplies their values at each point without any additional operations. Additionally, convolution is defined over a range of values, while multiplication is defined at specific points.

3. What are some real-world applications of convolution in the continuous case?

Convolution has many applications in various fields such as signal processing, image processing, and statistics. It is used to filter signals, remove noise from images, and perform smoothing and deblurring operations. It is also used in probability theory to calculate the probability distribution of a sum of two random variables.

4. Is convolution commutative in the continuous case?

No, convolution is not commutative in the continuous case. This means that f * g is not equal to g * f. This is because the order in which the two functions are convolved affects the resulting function, as the shifting and adding operations are dependent on the order of the functions.

5. Are there any properties of convolution in the continuous case?

Yes, convolution has several properties that can be useful for solving problems. Some of the key properties include associativity, distributivity, and the existence of an identity element. These properties can be used to simplify complex convolutions and solve equations involving convolutions.