Can You Power a Hex Axle Conveyor Roller Without a Chain and Sprocket?

In summary, @jrmichler suggests using a hexagonal sprocket with set screws on the hex axle, and attaching it to a round taper lock center bush. Alternatively, you might buy a 6-point impact socket and cut off the square drive, then bolt it to the side of a hex shaft.
thoain14
I am trying to power my conveyor roller but have a 7/16" hex axle. I have been trying to find a sprocket that has a hex bore and is able to handle a
ANSI Standard Size 40 Roller Chain. Is there any other efficient way to power this other than chain and sprocket? Also, this sounds dumb, but I was wondering if I was able to use a round sprocket with set screws on the hex axle if they were the same diameter?

Engineering news on Phys.org
There must be a block with a hexagonal same-size hole somewhere. One that could be machined to fit into the centre of a sprocket. Can you find one?

Six set screws will contact the faces, but that will not be tight, (due to cosine rule), and will work free. Likewise the corners of the hex will dent the inside of a circle.

Maybe two blocks that are clamped together to lock onto the hexagonal shaft. File half the hex hole into each block.
Then bolt the sprocket to that assembled and clamped block.

Likes Lnewqban
What is that 7/16" hex axle attached to?
Could you post a picture or diagram of your machine and power train?

Every hex shaft conveyor roller I have ever seen, or even heard of, has bearings. The shaft drops into slots in the conveyor frame, and the roller spins on the bearings. The rollers can be driven by a belt from a reducer that is wrapped around the roller:
Roller Conveyor Drive 1.jpg

They can be driven by an adjacent roller:
Roller Conveyor Drive 2.jpg

There is a third way to drive the rollers, but I did not find a good drawing of it. You can search roller conveyor drive for more information.

Likes Lnewqban
As @jrmichler suggests, the hex shafts are probably idler rollers that contain free running bearings.
Those internal bearings, pressed into the ends of each idler, may be “hex bore” conveyor bearings.
https://www.minibearings.com.au/store/partslist/bearingsconveyorhexborestainlesssteeldoublerow/?v=8148

If you still need a hex bore drive sprocket ...
1. There may be a “taper lock” centre bush for the sprocket you require. You could machine the round bush to have an internal hexagon, it would then lock to the hex shaft.
2. You might buy a 6-point impact socket, cut off the square drive, then split it to fit inside a round taper lock bush.
3. You might bolt your sprocket to the side of a hex shaft, two part collar.
https://www.bearingshop.com.au/store/categories/collars+shaft+hex+bore+two+piece+steel+categories/

Although it does not directly solve the roller drive problem, there are also agricultural bearings for square or hexagonal shafts used on tillage equipment. The sacrificial points are clamped onto, and rotate with that shaft. I wonder how that shaft is driven?
https://universalbearings.com.au/products/plough-bearings-hexagonal-bore-ubc

Likes Lnewqban

Related to Can You Power a Hex Axle Conveyor Roller Without a Chain and Sprocket?

1. What are conveyor rollers?

Conveyor rollers are cylindrical tubes with a hexagonal axle that are used in conveyor systems to transport materials or products from one location to another. They are often made of metal or plastic and can come in various sizes and configurations.

2. How do conveyor rollers work?

Conveyor rollers work by rotating on their hexagonal axles, which allows them to move materials along the conveyor belt. The rotation is typically powered by a motor or other mechanical means, and the rollers are strategically placed along the conveyor to ensure smooth and efficient movement.

3. What are the benefits of using hex axle conveyor rollers?

Hex axle conveyor rollers offer several benefits, including increased load capacity, improved durability, and reduced noise levels. The hexagonal shape of the axle provides more surface area for the roller to rotate on, making it stronger and able to handle heavier loads. Additionally, the shape helps to reduce friction and noise, making for a smoother and quieter operation.

4. What industries commonly use conveyor rollers?

Conveyor rollers are used in a wide range of industries, including manufacturing, distribution, transportation, and warehousing. They are commonly found in factories, airports, warehouses, and other facilities where materials or products need to be moved efficiently and continuously.

5. How do I choose the right conveyor rollers for my application?

When choosing conveyor rollers, it is important to consider factors such as the type and weight of materials being transported, the speed and frequency of operation, and the environment in which the rollers will be used. It is also essential to ensure that the rollers are compatible with the conveyor system and meet any necessary safety standards.