Convex subsets in ordered sets: intervals or half rays?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the topology of an ordered set and its convex subset. The question asks if a convex subset is necessarily an interval or half ray. The conversation includes an example using rational numbers to show that a convex subset may not be an interval. The conversation also discusses the definition of a convex set and clarifies the meaning of the subset in question.
nonequilibrium

Homework Statement

It might not be a real topology question, but it's an exercise question in the topology course I'm taking. The question is not too hard, but I'm mainly doubting about the terminology:
Let X be an ordered set and [itex]Y \subsetneq X[/itex] convex. Does it follow that Y is an interval or half ray?

Homework Equations

N.A.

The Attempt at a Solution

I would think not, unless I'm misunderstanding the terminology. Take the rational numbers and the subset denoted in [itex]\mathbb R[/itex] as [itex][\sqrt{2},2] \cap \mathbb Q[/itex]. It is indeed convex in [itex]\mathbb Q[/itex], but it's not an interval, cause I can't write it as [itex][q_1,q_2][/itex] or [itex]]q_1,q_2][/itex] with [itex]q_i \in \mathbb Q[/itex], or is my notion of interval too narrow?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi mr. vodka! :smile:

doesn't "convex" mean that, between any two elements of Y, there's no element in X that isn't in Y ?

Uhu. Which is true if you view that set as a part of the rational numbers, right?

How is that in Q?

oops! :redface: misread the question! :rolleyes:

let me start again …

√2 isn't in Q, so what's the meaning of [itex][\sqrt{2},2] \cap \mathbb Q[/itex] ? :confused:

Well you know what it means in R, right? And then you can interpret it as a subset of Q.

Well, [itex][-\sqrt{2},\sqrt{2}][/itex] as a subset of R is not the same set as [itex][-\sqrt{2}, \sqrt{2}][/itex] as a subset of Q. The first contains many points not in the second.

but that's not the subset I regarded, I regarded the intersection with Q

Related to Convex subsets in ordered sets: intervals or half rays?

What is topology?

Topology is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of space that are preserved under continuous deformations, such as stretching, twisting, and bending. It deals with the notions of continuity, connectivity, and proximity.

What is a topological order?

A topological order is a way of arranging objects or elements in a space such that they are in a specific order or sequence based on their topological properties. It is often used to study the properties of complex systems and networks.

What are intervals in topology?

In topology, an interval is a set of points on a line between two endpoints. It can be open, closed, or half-open, and is often used to describe the continuity and connectedness of spaces.

What is the difference between topological order and numerical order?

Topological order is concerned with the arrangement of objects based on their topological properties, while numerical order is based on the numerical values of the objects. Topological order is more abstract and general, while numerical order is more concrete and specific.

How does topology relate to other branches of mathematics?

Topology has connections to many other branches of mathematics, such as geometry, analysis, and algebra. It provides a framework for studying and understanding the structure of mathematical objects and their relationships. It also has applications in areas such as physics, computer science, and biology.