Converting torque to electricity

In summary, we have a solar tracking device that uses phase change of paraffin wax when heated inside a solar receiver. With a helical slot in a torque tube we can translate the expansion into rotational motion. We use this rotation to point solar panels at the sun, thus generating more electricity. Look us up at www.solar-powered-vehicle.com.
Jeffb47
We have a solar tracking device that uses phase change of paraffin wax when heated inside a solar receiver. With a helical slot in a torque tube we can translate the expansion into rotational motion. We use this rotation to point solar panels at the sun, thus generating more electricity. Look us up at << Link removed by Moderator >>

We have a unit that generates 3,000+ ft lbs of torque. Strong, but only one slow rotation per day. Could this torque be used to directly generate electricity?? How much would we need to make this drive a generator?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Probably not as good as the solar panels... it may produce a lot of torque but how much power?
Demount a solar panel, attach a pulley, see if you can get it to lift a weight.
You could, in principle, gear one up to rotate a generator shaft quite fast...
I suppose ##P=\tau\omega##, at a constant speed.

Thanks Simon..We've done the weight test, that's actually how we tested the device before connecting it to solar panels.
Question remains whether at 3,000 ft lbs rotating essentially only 90 degrees per day whether it would even be possible to gear it up to created the speed (and torque) that a generator requires.

Power = force X distance / time. Let's assume the "driving arm" is exactly one foot long. The available force is 3,000 pounds. The distance is (twice the radius times pi / 4) (because of 90 degree rotation). So the distance is (2 X pi)/4 or 1.57 feet. Let's assume this happens during daylight hours, say 8 hours. The work is the force times the distance. Divide by seconds and you get a horsepower value. It's pretty small, 0.0003 HP. You should check my numbers, I have the flu and I'm not thinking 100% clearly. Note that you get exactly the same power regardless of the length of the "driving arm"

Likes Jeffb47, Merlin3189 and Simon Bridge
What he said: though if you've done the weight-lift test then you have a measure of the average available power ... it is P=mgh/t ... the mass lifted, how high you lifted it, and how long that took, and the gravity factor.
When you run a generator offof it, you cannot get more power than that.

If a generator with that capability is worth it to you is another story.
Gearing up will add load due to the nature of gears... which is outside my capabilities sorry.

Good stuff. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the horsepower would be (3,000x1.57)/(8*60*60)=0.16. Still pretty small. So I read on a generator website that 2hp can generate 1kW of electricity. So, 0.25hp would generate 250W or about the same an one solar panel. So at 0.16, we'll need 2 (rounding up) of our devices to generate the same electricity as 1 solar panel. Solar panels cost about $300. No way (yet) we can build 2 of our devices + the generator for that.
Thanks for your thoughts!

You are asking about a heliostat. Look up Arduino or Rasberry PI heliostat projects. I'm sure you'll find lots of them, and the discussions may include power requirements, and gear reduction schemes. You may also be able to post your question on forums where heliostat hobbyists hang out.

A roller bearing on the panel mount would help reduce rotation power needs a lot.

By the way, don't forget wind when estimating the power required. It may take a lot more energy to rotate the panels on high wind days. If your device is to be reliable 365 days/year, then it must be designed for the worst case day. It may also be smart to design it to "feather" the panels (rotate them to near zero wind resistance position) if winds exceed design.

Jeffb47, you forgot to divide by 550 to get horsepower. Do a dimensional analysis on your units and you'll see where your error is.

Related to Converting torque to electricity

What is torque and how is it related to electricity?

Torque is a measure of the twisting force on an object. In the context of converting it to electricity, torque is used to rotate a shaft connected to a generator, which then produces electrical energy.

Can any type of torque be converted to electricity?

No, only rotational torque can be converted to electricity. Linear or bending torque cannot be converted.

What are the main components involved in converting torque to electricity?

The main components involved are a prime mover (such as an engine or turbine) that provides the rotational torque, a shaft to transmit the torque to the generator, and the generator itself which converts the torque to electricity.

What factors affect the efficiency of converting torque to electricity?

The efficiency of converting torque to electricity depends on several factors, including the design and quality of the generator, the speed and power of the prime mover, and the condition and alignment of the shaft connecting them.

How is the electricity generated from torque used in practical applications?

The electricity generated from torque can be used in a variety of practical applications, such as powering homes and businesses, operating machinery and vehicles, and providing backup power in case of emergencies. It can also be converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or light.