How Do You Convert and Round Measurements to SI Units with Significant Figures?

In summary, when asked to provide an answer in acceptable SI units and to 3 significant figures, both J and kJ are acceptable units. It is important to use the correct case for prefixes, such as kJ instead of KJ. The base unit is the Joule.
jybe

Homework Statement

If I am asked to give my answer in acceptable SI units and to 3 significant figures, how would I express my answer?

Homework Equations

Answer: 589883.4263 J

The Attempt at a Solution

My instinct would be to put this in KJ, but I don't know if that's an "acceptable SI unit". I can't find anything about it online. Does it have to stay in J?

If KJ I would write it as 590 KJ, right?

and if I had something like 1674.324432 J, would I express it as 1670 J or 1.67 KJ? I'm really confused.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Both J and kJ are perfectly acceptable SI units. The base unit is the Joule, of course, in case that's what they are looking for.

Note that its kJ, not KJ. Case is important in many prefixes.

Orodruin said:
Note that its kJ, not KJ. Case is important in many prefixes.

Oh wow...I actually think that was the problem. I used J this time and got it right but thanks for that heads up

Related to How Do You Convert and Round Measurements to SI Units with Significant Figures?

1. What are SI units?

SI units, or the International System of Units, are a standardized system of measurement that is used by scientists and researchers around the world. They are based on seven base units, including the meter for length, kilogram for mass, and second for time.

2. Why are SI units important in science?

SI units are important in science because they provide a universal and consistent way to measure and communicate data. This allows for accurate and reliable comparisons between different experiments and research studies.

3. What are significant figures in SI units?

Significant figures, also known as significant digits, are the digits in a number that carry meaning. In SI units, they represent the precision of a measurement and indicate the uncertainty in the measurement.

4. How do you determine the number of significant figures in a measurement?

The general rule for determining the number of significant figures in a measurement is to count all digits from the first nonzero digit to the last digit. Zeros between nonzero digits are also significant, but trailing zeros after a decimal point may or may not be significant depending on the measurement's precision.

5. How do you perform calculations with significant figures in SI units?

When performing calculations with significant figures, the final answer should have the same number of significant figures as the measurement with the fewest significant figures. Additionally, all intermediate calculations should be carried out to one extra digit to prevent rounding errors.