Converting Summation Notation to Closed Form for Linear-Geometric Series

In summary, the summation is the sum of a geometric series, where each term is the sum of the previous two terms.
JimmyK
I have the following summation and I'm attempting to remove the summation notation. It appears to be the sum of a geometric series but I'm having a great deal of trouble with it. X is an unknown constant.

$$\sum\limits_{i=2}^n (n - (n-i))x^{n-i}$$

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how to expand the summation out? If so do it for the first 3 or 4 terms, what do you get?

marobin said:
I have the following summation and I'm attempting to remove the summation notation. It appears to be the sum of a geometric series but I'm having a great deal of trouble with it. X is an unknown constant.
Well it reduces to $\sum\limits_{i=2}^n (i)x^{n-i}=2x^{n-2}+3x^{n-3}\cdots+(n-1)x+n$
But that is not very much help.

Thank you for expanding out the first few terms. I am try to find a general formula for it instead of using the summation notation.

marobin said:

Thanks.
$$\sum\limits_{i=2}^n (n - (n-i))x^{n-i}=\sum\limits_{i=2}^n ix^{n-i}=x^n\sum\limits_{i=2}^n \frac{i}{x^i}$$$$\sum\limits_{i=2}^n \frac{i}{x^i}=2(\frac{1}{x^2}+\frac{1}{x^3}+\frac{1}{x^4}+\frac{1}{x^5}+...+\frac{1}{x^n})$$

$$+(\frac{1}{x^3}+\frac{1}{x^4}+\frac{1}{x^5}+...+\frac{1}{x^n})+(\frac{1}{x^4}+\frac{1}{x^5}+\frac{1}{x^6}+...+\frac{1}{x^n})+...+\frac{1}{x^n}$$Could you proceed?

Last edited:
Thank you so much. I understand a bit more now, I guess I'm still a bit confused about

$$\sum\limits_{i=2}^n \frac{i}{x^i}=2(\frac{1}{x^2}+\frac{1}{x^3}+\frac{ 1}{x^4}+\frac{1}{x^5}+...+\frac{1}{x^n})+(\frac{1}{x^3}+\frac{1}{x^4}+\frac{1}{x^5}+...+ \frac{1}{x^n})+(\frac{1}{x^4}+\frac{1}{x^5}+\frac{ 1}{x^6}+...+\frac{1}{x^n})+...+\frac{1}{x^n}$$

in terms of why only the first set of summations is multiplied by 2. Sorry, I'm very rusty on the rules of summation.

marobin said:
Thank you so much. I understand a bit more now, I guess I'm still a bit confused about

$$\sum\limits_{i=2}^n \frac{i}{x^i}=2(\frac{1}{x^2}+\frac{1}{x^3}+\frac{ 1}{x^4}+\frac{1}{x^5}+...+\frac{1}{x^n})+(\frac{1}{x^3}+\frac{1}{x^4}+\frac{1}{x^5}+...+ \frac{1}{x^n})+(\frac{1}{x^4}+\frac{1}{x^5}+\frac{ 1}{x^6}+...+\frac{1}{x^n})+...+\frac{1}{x^n}$$

in terms of why only the first set of summations is multiplied by 2. Sorry, I'm very rusty on the rules of summation.
I'm little late to work, so just try to answer my question:

What is $$\sum\limits_{i=2}^n \frac{i}{x^i}$$ ?

$$\sum\limits_{i=2}^n \frac{i}{x^i}=\frac{2}{x^2}+\frac{3}{x^3}+\frac{4}{x^4}+...+\frac{n}{x^n}$$

Yes?

So, why then the above equals to what I wrote in my previous post? Good-luck! :)

Ah, I see that now. Thank you. So now I understand the common ratio in each distinct set is 1/x so I'm now working on trying to get the proper equation. :)

Here is another method (which you may find easy).

Let $\displaystyle S_n=\sum_{i=2}^{n}\frac{i}{x^n}=\frac{2}{x^2}+ \frac{3}{x^3}+\cdots \frac{n}{x^n} \quad (1)$

Multiply both sides by $\frac{1}{x}$:

$\displaystyle \frac{S_n}{x}=\sum_{i=2}^{n}\frac{i}{x^{i+1}}= \frac{2}{x^3}+\frac{3}{x^4}+\cdots \frac{n}{x^{n+1}} \quad (2)$

Subtract (2) from (1):

$$ S_n \left( 1-\frac{1}{x}\right)=\frac{2}{x^2}+ \left( \frac{1}{x^3}+\frac{1}{x^4}+\frac{1}{x^5}+\cdots \frac{1}{x^n}\right)-\frac{n}{x^{n+1}}$$

Can you proceed?

So it seems like this is a Linear-Geometric Series.

By applying the formula and if the lower bound was 1 instead of 2, I believe its closed form would be: $$\frac{-(n+1)(\frac{1}{x})^{n+1}+n(\frac{1}{x})^{n+2}+x}{(x-1)^{2}}$$

I wanted to make sure I'm taking the correct approach before attempting to see how the formula would change when taking into account that the lower bound is 2 and not 1.

Related to Converting Summation Notation to Closed Form for Linear-Geometric Series

1. How do I remove summation notation?

To remove summation notation, you need to take the sum of all the terms inside the summation and write it out as a single term. For example, if you have ∑(3x + 5), you can rewrite it as 3x + 5 + 3x + 5 + 3x + 5 and then combine like terms to get 9x + 15.

2. Can I remove summation notation from both sides of an equation?

Yes, you can remove summation notation from both sides of an equation as long as you apply the same operation to each side. This means that if you remove the summation notation from one side, you must also remove it from the other side.

3. Is it possible to remove summation notation from a series of numbers?

Yes, you can remove summation notation from a series of numbers by adding up all the terms inside the summation and writing it as a single number. For example, if you have ∑(2, 4, 6, 8), you can rewrite it as 2 + 4 + 6 + 8 = 20.

4. What is the purpose of removing summation notation?

The purpose of removing summation notation is to simplify mathematical expressions and make them easier to work with. It can also help in solving equations and finding patterns in data.

5. Are there any rules or guidelines for removing summation notation?

Yes, there are rules and guidelines for removing summation notation. These include distributing the summation to each term inside, combining like terms, and following the order of operations. It is also important to make sure that the same operation is applied to both sides of an equation when removing summation notation.