Converting Strain Gage Voltage to Force for Scientists

In summary, the conversation discusses using strain gages in a Wheatstone bridge configuration to measure bending on an aluminum bar. The question is how to convert the output voltage into an actual force measurement. The suggestion is to calibrate the sensor by manually applying different known forces and recording the output voltage, and then using that relationship to estimate forces for unknown loads. It is also mentioned that strain gages measure strain, not force, and that Young's Modulus may be relevant.
trannh
Hello,

I am doing a project where I have 4 strain gages (in a full bridge Wheatstone configuration) and I am continuously recording their output voltages. These strain gages have been installed on an aluminum bar and are recording bending. My question is how to I convert the output voltage that I am recording into an actual force in, say Newtons or pounds? I am aware of the equations to get Vo and the gage factor, but is there a way to convert that information into an actual force measurement like N or lbs? Thank you very much for any help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you calibrate the sensor by subjecting the rod to various amounts of force (at the desired point of application) and graph your measured data of this force vs. voltage?

So you mean manually applying different known forces, reading the output for each, and then using that relationship to estimate forces depending on what output voltages are recorded?

strain gage measures strain not force.

think "Young's Modulus"...

trannh said:
So you mean manually applying different known forces, reading the output for each, and then using that relationship to estimate forces depending on what output voltages are recorded?
Yes, that's what I was suggesting because I read it as you wanting to use this setup to measure a force applied at some point on the rod ("Strain gage voltage to force"). Perhaps you have something different in mind? If you are wanting to measure the strain the rod is under, then jim hardy has pointed the way.

An example would be a treadmill bar. Let's say I wanted to measure the force a user is applying downward onto the bar, I would place the strain gages in a configuration under the bar, to create a load cell essentially. My goal is to convert the output voltage from such a configuration to a force. I'm not quite sure how to though. Applying different known forces and recording the voltage output and plotting them to find a relationship seems to be the best option, that way, when someone is putting an unknown load, by analyzing the output voltage, I can get an estimate on how much force they applied. Is this correct?

Related to Converting Strain Gage Voltage to Force for Scientists

1. What is a strain gage?

A strain gage is a type of sensor that measures the deformation or strain of an object. It typically consists of a thin wire or foil that is attached to the surface of the object and changes its electrical resistance when the object is subjected to external forces.

2. How does a strain gage measure force?

A strain gage measures force by converting the deformation or strain of an object into an electrical signal. As the object is subjected to force, the strain gage changes its resistance, which can be measured and calibrated to determine the amount of force being applied.

3. What is the relationship between strain gage voltage and force?

The relationship between strain gage voltage and force is dependent on the sensitivity and calibration of the specific strain gage. In general, the greater the applied force, the greater the strain on the object and the higher the voltage output of the strain gage.

4. How is strain gage voltage converted to force?

To convert strain gage voltage to force, the voltage output of the strain gage is first calibrated against known forces. This allows for the creation of a linear relationship between voltage and force. Then, the voltage output can be multiplied by a conversion factor to determine the force being applied.

5. What are some common applications of strain gage voltage to force conversion?

Strain gage voltage to force conversion is commonly used in various industries, including aerospace, automotive, and civil engineering. It is used to measure the forces on structures, such as bridges and buildings, as well as in the development and testing of mechanical components, such as engines and turbines.