Using a Lock-in Amplifier for Strain Gage Measurement: Tips and Tricks

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a lockin amplifier to increase sensitivity of a 5mV signal from a strain gage, but the speaker is encountering issues with overload and a lack of change in output with weight change. They suggest balancing the bridge to get a 0.00V output and amplifying it to higher levels to successfully measure at the 0.01mV level.
rutman
hi
i am using a lockin amplifier for the 1st time other than a canned college lab demo.
i have a 5mV signal from a strain gage that is driven with 10Vpp at 1kHz or whatever i choose.
the 5mV is increased to 5.01mV when i add some weight to the arm the
gage is weighing.
i wanted to increase sensitivity of this reading with the LIA since there is noise in the next digit, i.e.
i read 5.01mV +- 0.01mV.

But i seem to go out of range (overload) before reading any weight change.
do i need to get a 0V average signal first, and put this into
the LIA?

the 4 strain gages are in a full wheatstone bridge configuration.
The 10V 1kHz signal is sent to the bridge and to the LIA 'reference' input,
5mV 1kHz bridge output sent to to LIA signal in. I adjust the LIA phase for max output,
zero the signal with the internal LIA offset, and increase sensitivity until i overload.
then i back off the sensitivity so there's no overload. at this point i see no change in output
with change in weight. the LIA sensitivity is generally 30mV at this point, whereas
the signal I want to measure is 0.01mV or less, so it seems natural i won't get a change in
output. the only thing i can think of is i must 'balance the bridge' to get 0.00V output, and
amplify this to higher levels e.g. at the 0.01mV level.
is this right?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Absolutely correct.

Related to Using a Lock-in Amplifier for Strain Gage Measurement: Tips and Tricks

1. What is a lock in amplifier and how does it work?

A lock-in amplifier is a specialized electronic device that is used to measure and extract small signals that are buried in noise. It works by applying a reference signal to the input signal and then using a phase-sensitive detector to measure the signal's amplitude and phase relative to the reference signal. This allows for highly sensitive measurements of weak signals in the presence of noise.

2. What are the main applications of lock in amplifiers?

Lock-in amplifiers are commonly used in scientific research and industrial settings for a variety of applications, including spectroscopy, materials analysis, biophysics, and electrical engineering. They are particularly useful for measuring small signals in noisy environments, making them an essential tool in many fields of study.

3. How do I choose the right lock in amplifier for my experiment?

When selecting a lock-in amplifier, there are several important factors to consider, including the frequency range of the signal you are measuring, the desired sensitivity and noise level, and the type of input and output connectors needed. It is also important to consider the brand and reputation of the manufacturer, as well as any additional features or functionalities that may be useful for your specific experiment.

4. Can a lock in amplifier be used for real-time measurements?

Yes, many modern lock-in amplifiers have the capability for real-time measurements, meaning they can display and analyze data in real-time as it is being collected. This is especially useful for experiments that require immediate feedback or adjustments, such as in closed-loop control systems.

5. Are there any common errors or challenges when using a lock in amplifier?

One common challenge when using a lock-in amplifier is ensuring proper grounding and shielding to reduce noise interference. Additionally, care must be taken to properly set the reference signal and filter settings to avoid false readings. It is also important to regularly calibrate the amplifier and perform quality control checks to ensure accurate measurements.